Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Glowing plants(Genetically Modified)  (Read 9612 times)

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Re: Glowing plants(Genetically Modified)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »

I always find it interesting the variety of responses one gets when posting about genetic modification. Personally, I believe that genetic modification is a fascinating field, and am very supportive of it's research. I think the focus should be on more than just pesticide/fungicide/herbicide resistance though, which seems to be the traditional goal of most corporations working in the field.

I think we should be focusing more on additional food production, cold and drought tolerance, best growth with minimal light, larger leaves/fruits/roots/whatever is harvested, etc. Basically I think we should identify the weaknesses of the plants we use, and work on modifications which enhance survivability in more environments. If we're going to one day colonize the stars, we need to make sure we can create a new ecosystem on our future homes, and that may take hardier plants than we currently have.
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 03:44:15 AM »

Wasnt tbis site covered here before btw, as I remember the findings werent too good, infact you have no guarantee your plant will glow noticably, I believe.
Seems like they are now aiming for more iterations zo really make it glow...
As expected: Still not doing as desired www.technologyreview.com/s/601884/why-kickstarters-glowing-plant-left-backers-in-the-dark/

which doesnt surprise me, biolumiscence isnt just one single gene or a simple gene sequence, the biochemical and metabolical details I imagine to be of more complex nature. And in complex organisms it again is a more difficult endeavor than for example in bacteria.

More thoughts on wether or not to fancy GMOs:
Maybe the differenciation "traditional method" vs "genetic engineering" doesnt help at all. Personally I'd at least differentiate traditional methods as follows:
Mutagen free methods (here again inter and intra species) and methods involving mutagenes.
I'd differenciate genetic engineering as follows:
Cis- and transgenic.

In the end, like everyone, I value a real breeding effort the most, if its limited to one species and achieved by pollinating, sowing, selecting ... or any real ancient method that mimics biology.

After that comes cisgenic GMO.

And artificial mutants and transgenic GMO cause me to feel equally uneasy. I cant really tell which I'd prefer.

"You don't fancy this GMO plant !? Look it in the eye and say that again !"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:53:37 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Kada

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 08:22:06 AM »

very interesting!
Pages: 1 [2]