Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Acacia Simplex seedlings eaten overnight?  (Read 5404 times)

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Acacia Simplex seedlings eaten overnight?
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »

I've got 4 Acacia Simplex seedlings in a pot(Just taproots and Cotyledons), and last night two of them were eaten! One is completely missing, except for a small amount of stem visible in the ground; the other is all chewed up(Stem is broken), chunks of cotyledon in a pile. I didn't have much time to look, but I didn't see any slime trails... Any idea what it might be and how I can prevent it?
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Acacia Simplex seedlings eaten overnight?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:46:16 AM »

Mice is my guess. Happens with me occasionally, I move a python or 2 into the greenhouse to clean them up.
Might not be an option where you are..
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:10:59 AM »

My concern would be where they were being raised at. Were they inside or on a porch? Do you have a rodent infestation at or near your place? I've had iguanas bite the heads off some of my simplex seedlings sometimes; I guess it's mother nature's way of telling you to plant moar.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:57 AM »

Mice is my guess. Happens with me occasionally, I move a python or 2 into the greenhouse to clean them up.
Might not be an option where you are..

If you can't afford a couple of invasive snakes, why not just surround your precious pot of simplex seedlings with rat traps and pray that no humans get caught up in your ingenious all-organic pesticide regimen
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:16:36 AM »

Slugs ? ?
III%

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:28:12 AM »

Slugs ? ?

Which kind of slugs in particular? Steel Slugs, Wad Slugs, Wax slugs, Foster slugs, etc.? i'm pretty sure any kind of slug would be crucial in the treatment of this infestation without blowing these seedlings to smithereens.

Ooops, wrong forum to troll, and wrong BAC to continue to type on. My bed beckons.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:31:00 PM by Mangrove »

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »

I just planted more. it was outdoors on a patio. Has not happened since, but I also moved all my pots onto a wire shelving system, so it may just be that whatever it was can't climb it, is no longer around,  can't find where they went, or decided they weren't tasty. Either way, no more problem.
We do have a lot of Great Grey Slugs around, saw a 5 inch long one the other night  on the sidewalk.
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!