Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My unhaapi caapi.  (Read 3501 times)

Medicine Man

My unhaapi caapi.
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »

So I received a B caapi cutting a few months ago. It was Autumn then, and the caapi was not growing in terms of length, but would grow new leaves. Then came winter. It entered a hibernation mode. It lost all its leaves and became dormant. Or so I think.

I've been keeping the soil moist, however I initially underestimated how much water it needs. I would spray it 3 times with a spray bottle, thinking it was enough. I don't think it was. I think it wasn't growing laterally because there was not enough water.

I few days ago, I noticed a bunch of white flies buzz around my cutting after I watered it. I took this as a bad sign.

Today, when I went to water it, I gently tapped the cutting. It was extremely loose. I gently lifted it out, and it required no effort. When I repotted this cutting, it had a very large root system. And now it looks like this.

Is there any hope for the little guy?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:25:39 AM by Medicine Man »

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: My unhaapi caapi.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »

Not looking good unfortunately. There may be a chance though they are very hardy in some cases. I'd repot in a very light well draining mix and place into a humidity dome until new growth occurs and reacclimate after its well established. Wait and see though what others say. Best of vibes!

MP
Spreading love!

Medicine Man

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »

Thanks for the knowledge there. It just might have a chance. I'll keep it in a humidity chamber for now.

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »

Hey medicine man, I have rooted caapi's to giveaway. Let me know if you want one.
Hopefully though, he has some vigor left in him.

Nick
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Medicine Man

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »

Hey medicine man, I have rooted caapi's to giveaway. Let me know if you want one.
Hopefully though, he has some vigor left in him.

Nick

I appreciate it very much. I've never done a trade before. What happens next?

I'll keep this one and try to bring it back.

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »

I sent you a PM
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Medicine Man

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »

I have put my cutting in some of my cactus mix, and placed it in a large ziplock bag. My cactus mix is seed raising mix, coco coir and perlite. I also made a bed of perlite on the bottom of the ziplock bag. I soaked this perlite in warm water before straining it.

I put it next to my computer and heater. My house can get pretty cold in winter if the heater isn't on. It's kind of a problem, since the cold doesn't bother me and I don't turn the heater on often. So I might need to turn the heater on and keep the room at an ambient temp of 20+C. The cutting is not receiving direct sunlight, but is not put in the shade.

I read this on the Shaman Australis forum.

"I've seen this happen quite a bit when caapi plants are taken to a cold area, they seem to go into dormancy and drop most of their leaves. Don't be overly concerned with the leaves but if the stem dies back to ground level you'll have a problem.
A dormant plant needs no water unless the soil is nearly bone dry so just let it do it's thing and it should come back in spring. If it is not actively growing it won't need fertiliser either.
A caapi vine will stretch out in low light conditions and stay much more compact in bright/direct light. I've found they can take full sun up until early December and then they much prefer half shade."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:39:13 AM by Medicine Man »