Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Lophophora pollination ?  (Read 12525 times)

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Lophophora pollination ?
« on: May 06, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »

Which lophophora's will pollinate each other reliably  ? ? 

Are any notably eazyer to grow or more difficult  ? ?

• var caespitosa    
   â€¢ var Cardona    
    • var Cedral    
   â€¢ var Cuatrocienegas    
   â€¢ var decipiens    
   â€¢ var Est Catorce    
   â€¢ var Est Marte    
   â€¢ var grau-blau Select    
   â€¢ var Hipolito    
   â€¢ var Huizache    
   â€¢ var La Paloma    
    • var Las Coloradas    
    • var Mazapil, Zac    
    • var Menchaca    
    • var Mex 54    
    • var Paila    
    • var Parras    
    • var Ramos Arispe    
    • var Refugio    
    • var Rinconata    
    • var Saltillo-Monclova    
    • var San Antonio    
    • var Sandia El Grande    
    • var Tecolote    
    • var texana    
    • var Villa Arista    
    • var weisse Bluete
III%

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Lophophora pollination ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:30:15 AM »

All of the williamsii variations will pollinate each other. Among williamsii there are really only two types (regardless of visual location variation), northern and southern. The northern variations are self fertile and will produce fruit without any interference, the southern variations are not self fertile and need to be hand pollinated when greenhoue grown. In my experience all williamsii are easy to grow, especially compared to diffusa or fricii. Those two are very sensitive to envrionmental changes and have a very thin epidermis.

nobody

¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

LSoares

• Trading Score: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 01:05:44 PM »

Except for that "var. decipiens", all of those should cross-pollinate. I'm still not sure of what the "decipiens" refers to, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to where it should be placed - it's either a L. williamsii or a L. fricii.
Z, in sunny Lisbon

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »

Some how I overlooked that being on the list. I am on the "It belongs in the fricii" group lol.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »

So which ones are northern varitys ?

Does anyone know about Divine Cactus seed stock's origin ? ?  Since they are about the cheapest out their, and have a good reputation. 
III%

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »

When hybridizing a self-fertile cacti or flower in general you must remember to emasculate the flower before the pollen matures. Otherwise, you risk the hybrid you are trying to create simply accepting its own pollen and while there may be some genetic diversity even amongst flowers that self pollinate as each pollination done thus is a random shuffling of the genes from its own chromosomes. To ensure my flowers don't self pollinate I always remove the anthers long before they have a chance to mature or give viable pollen. This is often early than one might think  as one way of robbing an anther of pollen is to split it open where one may find viable pollen before it bursts free of the anther itself. Another obstacle to hybrids is that many fail to dry and freeze their pollen so they can make the crosses they would like to make prior to the mother plant being ready. Collection pollen from a flower that you are about to pollinate can also introduce pollen into your pollen donor mixture you are using to pollinate other flowers. This is why I always use one flower for collecting pollen and a different flower that has been emasculated for pollinating. I also tend to pollinate before the stigma has even matured. In this manner, I can often pollinate long before the flower would have opened on its own. Again, insuring that my pollen is the only pollen that had a chance to pollinate as I am the first to see its pistil. This also means I don't get to see many flowers that are not destroyed prior to their getting a chance to mature.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 03:20:26 AM »

When hybridizing a self-fertile cacti or flower in general you must remember to emasculate the flower before the pollen matures. Otherwise, you risk the hybrid you are trying to create simply accepting its own pollen and while there may be some genetic diversity even amongst flowers that self pollinate as each pollination done thus is a random shuffling of the genes from its own chromosomes. To ensure my flowers don't self pollinate I always remove the anthers long before they have a chance to mature or give viable pollen. This is often early than one might think  as one way of robbing an anther of pollen is to split it open where one may find viable pollen before it bursts free of the anther itself. Another obstacle to hybrids is that many fail to dry and freeze their pollen so they can make the crosses they would like to make prior to the mother plant being ready. Collection pollen from a flower that you are about to pollinate can also introduce pollen into your pollen donor mixture you are using to pollinate other flowers. This is why I always use one flower for collecting pollen and a different flower that has been emasculated for pollinating. I also tend to pollinate before the stigma has even matured. In this manner, I can often pollinate long before the flower would have opened on its own. Again, insuring that my pollen is the only pollen that had a chance to pollinate as I am the first to see its pistil. This also means I don't get to see many flowers that are not destroyed prior to their getting a chance to mature.

Peach that . . .

Im so tired of vendors selling hybrid seed with horrible pollination practices.
III%

Inyan

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »

Some how I overlooked that being on the list. I am on the "It belongs in the fricii" group lol.

nobody

Here is an interesting cross now that you mention fricii

Also....Koehres pollinations
Lophophora williamsii Huizachex Lophophora koehresii
Lophophora williamsii x Lophophora fricii
Lophophora williamsii x Lophophora fricii f2

Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii
 Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora diffusa

Lophophora fricii El Amparox Lophophora koehresii
Lophophora fricii  x Lophophora diffusa

Lophophora diffusa x Lophophora koehresii

Kada
Lophophora diffusa x Obregonia denegrii

Other hybrids as per http://www.magicactus.com/lw_jourdaniana.htmlÂ
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:17:46 PM by Inyan »

Inyan

Lophophora williamsii x Lophophora fricii from Koehres
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »

Lophophora williamsii x Lophophora fricii picturs from Koehres

Kada

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 11:25:39 AM »

beautiful plants!

note that a lot of those in that list are locales, not varieties, forms, cultivars or anything really that important other than a location.  I wouldnt trust their seed to be true either unless very reliable vendor sold them with details.

Fricii does seem to be more open to crossing, as does koehress.  have had extremely limited success with diffusa.

some crosses also seem far more readily oportune one way (mother/pollen) and not as much the opposite way.  which is one big reason the genus certainly deserves multi species recognition.