Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Apple rusts  (Read 3270 times)

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Apple rusts
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:55:34 AM »

Does anyone else have issues with cedar apple rust  ?? 

If I cant get a handle on the problem this year im ripping out 3 apple trees !

I think my main problem is cedars grow wild all around hear on others property so I cant treat/cull them.
  This time of the year they have this disgusting 'cedar apple' or 'galls' hanging off them oozing spores to infect my apples.  All 3 varitys are said to be highly resistant But their not.
 All the farms around my area that produce apples just remove all the cedars they can and spray to reduce the problem but it still exists just at a acceptable level for them.

I have tryed dormant season oil after every rain, Bordex, Immunox, Mancozeb nothing works

Apple Rusts
 are serious apple diseases in the Appalachian area. There are two kinds of apple rusts,
cedar rust and
quince rust.
Red
cedar is the alternate host for both the cedar-apple and quince rusts and severity of these diseases is related to the distance of the apple
tree from infected cedars in the area. Cedar rust, caused by a fungus, appears as orange or greenish yellow spots on the fruit and as
yellowish to orange spots on the leaves. Leaf infection results in extensive defoliation and devitalization of the tree during dry peri
-
ods.  York Imperial, Rome Beauty, Golden Delicious, and Jonathan are among the most susceptible of the varieties grown in Virginia.
Cedar-
apple rust galls, or “cedar apples,” are located on the twigs of cedar. They develop masses of gelatinous spore horns during
rainy periods, early in the growing season, from which spores are discharged that infect the apple. Apple quince rust, incited by a
fungus, has caused heavy fruit losses of Red Delicious, Stayman, Winesap, Rome, and York under Virginia conditions. The disease
appears as sunken or deformed areas ranging from deep green to brown, usually on the calyx end of the fruit. The infection goes deep
into the fruit and makes it worthless. Quince rust does not affect apple foliage. Starting in mid-summer,
quince rust sometimes pro
-
duces tufts of fluorescent orange spores that are conspicuous and may be incorrectly identified as cedar apple rust. Protectant sprays
are required from early pink through June 10 for control of the rust diseases.
Immunox is the most effective
fungicide listed here that
adequately protects against rusts. In some years rust infection occurs later than petal fall. Where rust pressure is heavy, two or three
sprays of Immunox may be required to cover the six-week period of fruit and foliage susceptibility from pink to four weeks after
petal fall.

from   ---   http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omcar.html

III%