Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bubbleponics for rooting vines  (Read 3001 times)

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Bubbleponics for rooting vines
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »

Even with the easiest plants to propagate I have always had very mixed results. I've tried planting direct in soil, pure perlite, coir, water and green, semi and woody sections. Best results for me are from semiwoody cuts in water changed daily however even that tends to be hit and miss with around 50% Strike rate; with caapi.

So I'll be setting up a simple bubble cloner which I can later just add nutes and make dwc. Planning on setting up a DWC for a slower vine for faster growth along with a potted 'mother' so I can mass propogate by next year. First dwc clone will be via air layering with moss or coir.

Now my question is do I need to change the water if no nutes in it? I've read quite a few mixed answers. Since I can root in pure water I'd assume wouldn't have to do anything if I add a pump. When a dwc wih nutes I would change weekly or biweekly and just water other plants with that.

Aeroponics seems like a better option but little more expensive to buy or make. I can just stick an airstone in a cup of water and have a bubble cloner but will try to suspend over water to reduce roting chances due to longer rooting times.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
Re: Bubbleponics for rooting vines
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »

I have a small plastic container with some air stones in it that I use as a bubble cloner.  If I don't change the water every once in a while I get some algae growth.  I usually change it every other week or so.

Algae puts out oxygen. Plant roots love oxygen so maybe try letting it grow and see if your results are better?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:42:04 AM by Sunshine »
"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
Re: Bubbleponics for rooting vines
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:10:07 AM »

The system I use for kratom involves cuttings in rockwool suspended over areated water. I don't change the water until that batch is done in 2-3 weeks.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.