Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Germination of Psychotria seeds?  (Read 19376 times)

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
Germination of Psychotria seeds?
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:33 PM »

Curb your enthusiasm... this is not to give a miraculous method of achieving germination with Psychotria spp. seeds, rather the contrary. After several frustrated attempts, I want to ask the community:

Anyone has successfully started P. viridis (or alba, carthaginensis, etc.) from seed?

And if so, can we have any hints and tips?

Thank you,

Mandrake

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Germination of Psychotria seeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »

I will be attempting to germinate P. viridis and alba with the use of a GA3 solution soon.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I have heard of people getting them to germ that way before.
Cactus = Life

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:51:01 AM »

I've plagiarized myself from another site to bring this here. Enjoy!

Once one learns the conditions that Pv likes it is not a difficult plant, but getting the feel for it can be tricky at first.

Each berry usually contains two seeds. Fresh berries are best if you are lucky enough to get some. Seeds still in dried berries are OK.
Clean dried seed is likely dead or in deep dormancy and are far more difficult to germinate.

If you have fresh seed, mash the berry flesh off them and rinse. Dried berries can be sown as is. Whichever way you receive them give them a short soak in some H2O2 or dilute bleach to keep molds at bay. If using sphagnum (NOT peat moss) to germinate you can safely skip the soaking.

The main thing to remember is that humidity is the key when they are young. Humidity dome, greenhouse and outside in the summer heat & humidity are all good. Dry air for long periods is not. If the air is on the dry side, they like to be given a good misting from time to time. My adult plants are between five and eight feet tall, so I give 'em a good dousing with the hose if they need it. This is important because the leaves tend to stick together when sprouting from the ends of the branches, and they need humidity to help them separate. Otherwise they end up all crinkly and deformed looking.

Some parts of their natural range are prone to flooding for extended periods, so they are well adapted to lots of water. Adult plants handle this well. That said, I never keep seedlings in soggy soil. Damp, yes, but not waterlogged.

The second thing to remember is that these are SLOW plants for the first couple years. Slow to germinate, up to six months or so, and slow growing. Patience is very important. For those who have grown cactus from seed, Pv will be familiar territory.

The third thing is that they are understory plants in habitat and so don't need large amounts of light. Flouros are good for seedlings, a windowsill (east or even north facing) will do, dapple shade outside is great once they get bigger. An hour or two of direct morning sun makes mine very happy, flowering and fruiting more profusely than those in deeper shade all day.

So, to germinate what I do is fold them into a damp paper towel and seal them inside a ziploc bag. Bottom heat helps, especially when trying to germinate them during winter. I have a few aquariums in my house with flouro fixtures in the hood. I just lay the baggie on top of the light housing and they seem to like that a lot. A heat mat would work well, of course, or on top of the refrigerator. Anywhere there is nice even, gentle heat. They don't need much light at all to germ.

They are easy to inspect for germination or (dare I say it) mold problems when using the ziploc method. Once I have them set in place I forget about them for about two months. Then I begin checking ever week or two for germination. As soon as the root emerges they can be GENTLY removed from the paper towel and placed in a small pot with any good potting mix. I usually add some additional perlite and some time release fertilzer such as Osmocote. Don't forget to keep them humid after potting up. Use a humidity dome of some sort or seal the pots in ziploc bags. This is the time to put them under flouros.

The other method is to sow the seeds in some sphagnum moss in small pots. Sphagnum is good because it inhibits mold growth.
Seal the pots up in ziplocs and you are good to go.

If you are lucky some might pop within three weeks. Others can take a full six months. Average is about two to three months.

Did I mention Pv is a great teacher of patience? ;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:41:33 PM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »

thanks for that find, bach
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

That was no 'find', that's distilled from 18 years of experience with the plant and some research along the way.  8)

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 06:35:40 AM »

That was no 'find', that's distilled from 18 years of experience with the plant and some research along the way.  8)
i read the plagiarized from another forum part, but somehow skipped the "myself" part.

my bad, lmfao
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

Mandrake

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »

Bach, much appreciated. This is easily the best bit I've read about PV propagation from seed, and that was exactly what I was looking for.

They are easy to inspect for germination or (dare I say it) mold problems when using the ziploc method.

This made me nod so vigorously I probably snapped something in my neck. I've seen a bunch of seeds lost to molds that seemed to have sneaked in as soon as the germination container was cautiously opened for a quick inspection.

Now it's all about crossing fingers for viability.

Thanks again,

Mandrake

Lukas123

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +64
  • High on Life
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »

It´s much more easy to go the leaf cutting way to get plants of Psycotria.
But i guess you have the seeds already as you are asking specifically for seed germination advice.
I have never tryed seeds of Psychotria, only leaf cuttings so i cant help you with this.
But leaf cuttings are a very good way of getting plants.
One get many small plants from each leaf.

Lukas123
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 04:12:23 AM »

Agreed, leaf is the way to go to get mature plants more quickly, but if seeds is what ya got, then you work with that.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:23:14 AM by Bach »

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:46:02 AM »

Great write up bach!

Im very glad i found this! I will be starting up a grow log of viridis with fresh seed here in a bit, based mostly off of this advice!!!

Thanks again :)
+1
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Sherman

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 03:22:59 AM »

Did you ever get any results using GA3 on P Viridis, New Wisdom? I am interested in what you might have found.

Do you have a concentration recommendation to start at? I can do maybe two different concentrations, as I have about 10 seeds.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »

I had luck using GA3 @ 250ppm, although it did not help much. In a side side comparison with untreated seeds I got the same germination rates and times. The GA3 batch popped up about 3 days earlier and I still only got 50% germination rate.

:)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Sherman

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:57 AM »

Well 50% is pretty decent from what I've read! That would give me around 8 plants, which is way more than I need. I'm running out of space!

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try, and post up my results.

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »

Hey Mandrake, did you ever get around to germinating your seeds? I'm interested to know if you have any updates for us, especially since I'll be starting some seeds of my own soon.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Mandrake

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »

Hey Mandrake, did you ever get around to germinating your seeds? I'm interested to know if you have any updates for us, especially since I'll be starting some seeds of my own soon.

Nope. In the second attempt, and after half a year between humid tissues (GA3 200ppm, iirc) inside of a ziplock bag, no traces of germination to be seen. So I cannot report progress, but you've probably seen by now someone who can.

I seem to be jinxed when it comes to psychotria. A generous member sent me a nice pack of leaves and none have rooted so far. I'm starting to suspect the tissue was badly hurt under cold winter temperatures in transport.

Edit: Yes, three of them (and perhaps a fourth) seem to be definitely rooting after another close check-up. Phew.