Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: peganum harmala germination study  (Read 29558 times)

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
peganum harmala germination study
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »

http://www.cabi.org/gara/FullTextPDF/2009/20093347888.pdf

found this when contemplating germinating some of my rue.

figured it was worth sharing.
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
Re: peganum harmala germination study
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

http://www.cabi.org/gara/FullTextPDF/2009/20093347888.pdf

found this when contemplating germinating some of my rue.

figured it was worth sharing.

Thanks for sharing this my friend :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:44:07 AM by Mandrake »
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:00:41 AM »

Thank you for this, it's a great resource. There's not a lot of information about Peganum Harmala germination easily available, so much appreciated.

Moved to the Seeds and Germination Section.

Best wishes,

Mandrake

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »

That links interesting. I've started many syrian rue seedlings from seeds that I was told weren't viable by the vendor I got them from. Most would eventually germinate if given a little time. I germinated them in my bathroom window in summer so the temp was probably around 78-80 F.

The problem I ran into was that when they got a little over an inch tall they would fall over and the stem right above the root would be shriveled up. I managed to grow one of them into a small bush a little over a foot tall, but it ended up dying after a little over a year.

I'll have to give it a try again sometime soon paying more attention to the temp and possibly try scarifying a few.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:22:54 PM by Greentoe »

Mandrake

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »

The problem I ran into was that when they got a little over an inch tall they would fall over and the stem right above the root would be shriveled up. I managed to grow one of them into a small bush a little over a foot tall, but it ended up dying after a little over a year.

I'll have to give it a try again sometime soon paying more attention to the temp and possibly try scarifying a few.

Scarification is not necessary for germination. Newer seeds (darker in color) will have higher germination rates, but even very old seeds (I'm talking more than three or four years old) can eventually germinate when under the right conditions. In my experience, the main factors are the type of soil and, of course, water.

Syrian rue seedlings are very sensitive to overwatering, excess humidity and particularly to soil fungi. Use sandy sterile soil, with good drainage, and make sure there is good airflow to avoid a too humid environment. The method of watering seems to be very important. Seedlings do not like getting their stems wet, and I found that moderate watering by pot immersion (or careful watering in the surface, avoiding to soak the seedling stem and the cotyledons) gives better results. Also, types of soil that stay moist for days are no good. allowing the surface of the substrate to dry between waterings will help them stay clear of fungi. Otherwise, as you described, the seedlings will fall over and die due to excess moisture in the young stem.

You can always dillute some copper fungicide (or hydrogen peroxide) into the irrigation water as prevention measure. Once the plants are past the seedling method, the survival rates increase notably.

Also, be careful with excess heat. Spring weather is most likely the ideal for syrian rue germination.

Good luck,

Mandrake
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:46:41 PM by Mandrake »

Lukas123

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +64
  • High on Life
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »

Scarification is not necessary for germination. Newer seeds (darker in color) will have higher germination rates, but even very old seeds (I'm talking more than three or four years old) can eventually germinate when under the right conditions. In my experience, the main factors are the type of soil and, of course, water.

Syrian rue seedlings are very sensitive to overwatering, excess humidity and particularly to soil fungi. Use sandy sterile soil, with good drainage, and make sure there is good airflow to avoid a too humid environment. The method of watering seems to be very important. Seedlings do not like getting their stems wet, and I found that moderate watering by pot immersion (or careful watering in the surface, avoiding to soak the seedling stem and the cotyledons) gives better results. Also, types of soil that stay moist for days are no good. allowing the surface of the substrate to dry between waterings will help them stay clear of fungi. Otherwise, as you described, the seedlings will fall over and die due to excess moisture in the young stem.

You can always dillute some copper fungicide (or hydrogen peroxide) into the irrigation water as prevention measure. Once the plants are past the seedling method, the survival rates increase notably.

Also, be careful with excess heat. Spring weather is most likely the ideal for syrian rue germination.

Good luck,

Mandrake

I have tried many times to grow Rue but the results are always the same.
They get to maybe an inch in height and then die.
Maybe i can try again and use the advice you give.
I have thought that maybe they don't like the heat indoors, i have 25-28 degrees C inside.
Poppy seedlings are behaving about the same and in that case the indoor temps is to hot.
I think i give it another go as i have seeds left.

Lukas123
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

Mandrake

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »

I have thought that maybe they don't like the heat indoors, i have 25-28 degrees C inside.

That should not be too much in my experience. But the combination of excess humidity and water with a warm temperature will encourage fungi and molds, so if you have a warm indoor garden, take special care with water. Once the seedlings go past that initial stage, they show good survival rates.

One little hint that might help - If, in spite of being careful, some of them appear to start to fall over, try to help them stand up by carefully packing a little soil under the cotyledons. If the surface soil is not too moist, there's a fair chance they will recover and keep growing.

Good luck,

Mandrake

greenthumb

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »

Thank for the tip. That encouraged me to start a grow log in rue!

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »

Just got some rue seeds today, so i will definatly be using the tips on here

Thanks for this awesome website and community :)
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Zbojnick

• Trading Score: +2
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys  :)

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »

I have tryied cultivate. Some time after I give up..do not worked....I abandoned the pot...
Seeds germineted and the seedling grew with no care.
Now I do not know what to do to keep the plant.
Any advices?

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »

Let the soil dry, bc rue likes dry soil; give them plenty light.

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:49:15 AM »

Just keep not caring, that's evident. I lost a few loved seedlings for what maybe was over caring.  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:53:32 AM by odara »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »

What would be a good soil mix to start these? I mix my own soils.

I've tried growing them before but couldn't get the seeds to germinate.  I have difficulty starting small seeds in general but these seem to be particularly challenging.  Now that I've found this thread, I plan to make another go with some fresh seeds I'll be receiving soon.

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »

I forget the exact ratio but I used a Coco, perlite, vermiculite mix with sand mixed in.  I got past the seedling stage growing it in a greenhouse under a t5 light.  I tried moving to a window sill and it just kind of stalled out then eventually withered away.  Some notes.. I've read alkaline soil may be key.. I was going to try adding calcium carbonate pebbles to the mix next time as a buffer.  Also I think whatever is used for soil needs to be very loose.. The roots don't penetrate well and I believe that is why I had marginal success with a Coco mix.  Also I have seed which is 3 or 4 years old that still germinates.

"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell
Pages: [1] 2 3