Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1" to 2" Ariocarpus fissuratus grafted to SanPedro tip  (Read 6609 times)

bezevo

1" to 2" Ariocarpus fissuratus grafted to SanPedro tip
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:09:20 AM »

How would would grafting a small  1" to 2" Ariocarpus fissuratus take to being  grafted to SanPedro tip of equal diameter ?

How much of the  Ariocarpus fissuratus   root would you leave or cut close plant ?

Just an idea .

What's your opinions ?
I GROW !

zone 5b

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: 1" to 2" Ariocarpus fissuratus grafted to SanPedro tip
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:15:06 AM »

In theory this should graft, however...

Diameter is not the determining factor.  What is crucial is the overlap of the vascular ring.  This way the transfer of resources is complete between the graft and the stock. 

In addition to asking the great resources here, this guide was instrumental to my understating of the process.

http://www.kadasgarden.com/grafting2.html

My advise is to practice, be patient and use the most sterile technique possible.

Also Desert Delirium doesn't get enough credit but I have had great success 8/10 using the TEK he describes here.

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2476.0;topicseen

LSoares

• Trading Score: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »

Not sure why would you want to do this, for a number of reasons. First, a two inch Ariocarpus fissuratus is most likely adult and will flower well every year. It will also be resistant to all but the most thoughtless care, i.e. mineral soil and careful water will keep it going (at its recognized leisure pace, of course). You ask about cutting the top of the plant as you would do if harvesting a Lophophora head, is that it? I've never heard of Ariocarpus resprouting from their roots, but I may just be ignorant on this. Lastly, Ariocarpus that size are notably woody or corky and the chances of a graft not taking are significant.

With all that in mind, as Ian said the most important things are sterility and vascular ring overlap. Keep a good deal of pressure for quite some time and pray for luck.
Z, in sunny Lisbon

bezevo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 02:15:06 AM »

ok  generally a bad idea  and not likely to succeed.... 

ha a challenge  with like a 50% chance of success !   hummm....

50% chance I might try it .......or not .

but it was just an idea ..

thanks for the impute sending you good karma
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:57:50 AM by bezevo »
I GROW !

zone 5b

LSoares

• Trading Score: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

My Ariocarpus fissuratus are self-fertile (at least some of them are...), so you'd better wait for flowers, self-pollinate them, wait for seeds, sow them and graft the seedlings (a pretty straightforward task). The upside to this is that you'll have plenty of time to prepare your grafting stock, because unless you use artificial light it'll be 2018 before you can do it...
Z, in sunny Lisbon

bezevo

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:11:08 AM »

interesting ...more good karma for you
I GROW !

zone 5b

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »

Yes you can do this if the ariocarpus is young. If not it will be like cutting through wood  I just grafted one to a Myrtillocactus geometrizans last night, but you have to get some of the pedro cactus juice on the wound of the ariocarpus. Just squeeze the scrap pieces a little bit (one that is sterile and hasn't been in the air for too long) and rub it on the bottom of the ario wound.  Then make sure the core intersects the trich.

You will want to put as much pressure as you can on your ariocarpus which is harder than it sounds.

What kind of pot is the pedro in? Pictures of stock and scion?

New Wisdom
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:30:55 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

bezevo

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:55:24 AM »

MAYBE I will try something a bit easier  first ha
I GROW !

zone 5b

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »

Yeah. Ariocarpus are the hardest of any cacti to plant because the tubercles and hard cores. And they're even harder to root after a graft. I've lost most of my ariocarpus seedling grafts. IDK why but the stock always dies and the plant never roots. I would start with Lophophora. They're easier. Unless the ariocarpus is going to die on it's own roots I wouldn't graft it.

You can also graft single tubercles. Which I have yet to try. This is probably the best way to clone adult ariocarpus. Or you can graft young pups before they get woody if that happens, but it has to be a pretty old plant to pup (unless it's monstrose or one a graft.)

This plant was grafted from a tubercle onto a Ferocactus glaucescens. First is the graft and second is the mamma. Third picture is an A. trigonus started from seed several years ago that I used GA3 on and it has about 50 heads. That's a Fissuratus cv godzilla x furfuraceous.  Can't find the right picture. 

New Wisdom
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:26:17 PM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life