Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Perennial veggies  (Read 13236 times)

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: Perennial veggies
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 04:29:38 AM »

pfaf says hardy to zone 8

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 04:33:39 AM »

nasty oest
sorry dude, not sure what that means?

They handle heavy frost fine, reckon they would just sit dormant until spring/summer, but not sure.
Won't survive long term at my place without extra watering, but floating in polystyrene boxes full of potting mix on the dam they do great.
I grow waterchestnuts, chuffa, canna, brahmi, coix, rumex, galagal, rice, Vietnamese mint, and a few other things like that now.
Zero maintenance, gives the ducks somewhere to nest, and only costs potting mix+piece of rope.
Less insects/kangaroo/bettong/bandicoot issues and I never have to water.

As per pics, but much much bigger now.
I grow Azolla and Lemna on the water too, so when I harvest I use a few handfuls as that as mulch/fertilizer.
The extra shade slows the evaporation a bit too.
Great system, if you have access to a pond/dam/creek I highly recommend it. Just that and the fish/yabbies' would keep me fed forever if needed.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 02:19:44 PM »

I grow pretty much everything I mentioned in those two posts
Whats your opinion on Malabar spinach?
In my climate most vegetables get too sharp or bitter in summer for use as salads, I've been tempted to grow that along my irrigation trenches as a bulky filler for salads, and for soups too.

Malabar spinach although not bad has a very very green and slimy taste and feel to it. I much more prefer Okinawa or Brazilian spinach.
Spreading love!

infiniteohms

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +17
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 05:24:29 AM »

Turkish Rocket (Bunias orientalis) - Super easy to grow and quick to establish, edible leaves are OK, but nothing too special, however the flower buds are prolific and very tasty, similar to broccoli-raab.

Hablitzia (Hablitzia tamnoides) - Clumping vine bearing tender spinach like leaves, very productive when it's happy. Does well in part shade. Prefers slightly alkaline soil, but does fine in neutral / lightly acid as well.

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:57 PM »

gynura procumbens

okinawa spinach is wonderful
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:01:30 PM by bosqueberg »
Pages: 1 [2]