Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perennial veggies  (Read 13317 times)

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Perennial veggies
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »

Im trying to learn about Perennial Veggies to make a simple low maintence self sustaining food plot. I know their are lots of them out their but their not main stream so their not often sold / talked about. If you contribute to the list if you could please also report where they grow as a perennial.  Annuals that aggressively self seed are great to.

--  SunChokes / Jerusalem artichoke / Helianthus tuberosus  Hardy South US to Canada, Their is also a closely related species that grows in S. America that can grow 20' tall (live rizomes can sometimes be found in grocery stores.  Great selection's  http://oikostreecrops.com/products/?route=product/category&path=65_96

--   Egyptian onions / walking onions / Topsetting onions, Allium ×proliferum  Hardy zone 5-9

--  Skirret / Sium sisarum, zone 5-9

--  Water Chestnut / Trapa natans,  grows from S. Florida well into Canadia, Invasive water plant likely at a still water body by you

--  Sea Kale / perennial brocklie / Crambe maritima,  zone 5-9

--  Good king henery / Chenopodium bonus-henricus,  zone 3-9

-- Rhubarb / Rheum rhabarbarum,  Zone 2-9 (varity dependant)

-- Asparagus / Asparagus officinalis,  Zone 3-8

--  Garlic / Allium sativum,  Zone 0-10

--   Tree Collard / Tree Kale / Walking Stick Kale / Purple Tree Collard / Brassica oleracea,  Zone 7-10

-- Parsnips / Pastinaca sativa  (self seeder)  Zone 3-9

I know im missing alot

III%

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Perennial veggies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »

Mind that many are perennial naturally but grown as annual outside of their zones. Some loose productivity in the following years too.

So depending on the zone a pepper for example might be a perennial.

Consider self sowing things like salad, should fit your requirements.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:13:02 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »

Some perennial veggies that come to mind are:

Okinawa spinach
Malabar spinach
Brazilian spinach
Ceylon spinach
Cassava
Chaya
Katuk
Cranberry hibiscus
Edible leaf hibiscus
Jamaican sorrel hibiscus
most all fruit trees and berry bushes
Moringa
Velvet bean in warm climates
passion fruit
sugarcane
Elderberry
Lemongrass
Dragon fruit
Pigeon pea
Butterfly pea

Spreading love!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:32 AM »

A few more I've thought of...

Scarlet runner bean
true yams (Dioscorea)
Sweet potato in warm climates
African potato mint
Thai holy basil
African blue basil
Apios americana aka ground nut
Kiwi
Coco plum
Natal plum

Spreading love!

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:59:09 AM »

Almost all brassicas will self seed very vigorously. The kale at my house was planted ~10 years ago & just comes up all over the place every year...
No living organism should be illegal.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:08:12 AM »

I wish I lived where those grow MP ;D Thats mostly zone 9 and 10.

In more temperate climates...
The chicories self seed well. In zone 7a gromolo verde and my local landrace that looks like italian dandelion were not perennial but when I 'killed' rosa di treviso by digging it out and then tilled the ground every damn root piece grew a plant the following year!
It would have been great if I had not planted other things there.
The Malvas are perennial or self seeding "annuals" (M. neglecta is quoted as annual but its at least biennial here, and its great in rice or oatmeal). Mostly zone 5 and up.
Lamium amplexicaule (henbit) self seeds very well, its a small non-minty mint relative that grows in winter and seeds in mid spring. It grows fakin everywhere, even northern canada. Zone 1? Good addition to soups in late winter.
Dandelion. The leaves arent very bitter in winter and the flowers, with the green bits removed, can be made into a vegan honey substitute. Tastes a bit like clover honey, just without the honey smell. Whole plant is medicinal. Zone 5 or lower.
Lactuca serriola, bitter lettuce, self sows very well and isnt that bitter in the end of winter and beginning of spring. Its said to be hardy down to zone 7 but here in 7a it grows like mad year to year while Lactuca virosa ("zone 6") struggles to make it year to year.
Russian thistle, the tumbleweed with a dozen latin names, self sows abundantly where it grows in zone 7+ and the tender foliage and ground seeds are edible and reportedly quite good. In the great depression the government taught texans how to use it as a vegetable, in breads, as pickles, etc.
Many herbs and berry bushes. A saskatoon bush is great (zone 2+) because they are like tiny red apples that taste like sweet apples with a bit of pear and a hint of peach and you almost certainly will never find them in stores.

Parsnips, mentioned above, are biennials.
Has anyone actually grown walking stick kale / tree collards? I've been tempted to track down seeds of those repeatedly.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »

Auxin - Now we are talking, you southerners are spoiled, Still great info. thow

Russian thistle sounds good but does not look familiar to me I wonder if my climate is to wet

Malvas, I knew marsh mallow but did not know hollyhocks wich is great becouse they grow wild all around me

Scarlet runner bean - Looks intersting even as a annual, seems like it has the abillity to climb objects like a smoove tree trunk

Cassava - I wish, Think I might try a grocery store piece one day anyway.

Chaya / Cnidoscolus chayamansa  - On the wish list  :) :)

Hibiscus - New to me but looks like theirs not enouth nutrition to make it worth it, and lots of possible interactions

Siberian pea shrub Caragana arborescens,  :)

I was hopeing for more carbohydrates and protein, Not that theirs anything wrong with greens
III%

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »

I can send you some cassava pieces if you want. :)

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »

Ya I'm spoiled as hell here in zone 9-10! I grow pretty much everything I mentioned in those two posts lol except runner beans which will be here at some point!
Spreading love!

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »

While obviously not vegetables, fruit and nut trees and bushes are something to consider too.  Most will be a longer term project since they will take time to establish and mature, but they are an option as well.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »

I grow pretty much everything I mentioned in those two posts
Whats your opinion on Malabar spinach?
In my climate most vegetables get too sharp or bitter in summer for use as salads, I've been tempted to grow that along my irrigation trenches as a bulky filler for salads, and for soups too.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »

I can send you some cassava pieces if you want. :)

nobody

Thank You

But, for the price of postage I can buy hole root pieces at a local grocer ( Never survive a zone 7/8 winter anyway, and I dont have the indoor room)
III%

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:13 PM »

While obviously not vegetables, fruit and nut trees and bushes are something to consider too.  Most will be a longer term project since they will take time to establish and mature, but they are an option as well.

Thats what i have ben doing the last 15 years

I plan on retireing to piece of very rural land in PA with acres of tree fruit and nut, and berrys

;D
III%

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 03:02:04 AM »

Cyperus Esculentus, chufa nuts are awesome if you have moist soil.
Got a few different ones here now, all very productive, if the soil is moist/swampy.
Happy to send some out if anyone is keen(PM your postal)
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 03:33:03 AM »

Sounds like a nasty oest, once established. Do you know if they survive freezes / winter ?
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: [1] 2