Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greenhouses - Temporary and inexpensive  (Read 9127 times)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Greenhouses - Temporary and inexpensive
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »

I really like this solution to my overwintering issues with my tropical plants.  The problem is that I have no space to build a permanent greenhouse and a need to protect my plants for a few days of the year.  I have both assembled and packed this greenhouse in 30 minutes or less.  This is my second year using it and it it seems to be holding up well.   :)

Photos:
1.  Assembled greenhouse measures 6'x 6' x 6'7".  This photo was taken 12 minutes into the process.  It's fully self-supporting at this point.  The next 18 minutes or so was used to stake it and attach the sun shade.
2.  Very small package for storing all the parts --  greenhouse fabric, supports, stakes, ties, and sun shade. 
3.  Supports are easily assembled.  There are expandable cords in the center so that each rod can be collapsed and re-assembled in a minimum amount of time. 

I've thought that I might plant a permanent tropical in the center like Psychotria Viridis and erect the structure over it each year.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

plantlight

• pl -- for short
Re: Greenhouses - Temporary and inexpensive
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »

Other options:
This is a link to an older post in the supplier section of the forum that features some of the even more inexpensive solutions I considered.  I didn't think any of these would work as well for me, as it seems that the shelving acts as support and takes up some of the interior floor space.  However, these appear to otherwise fit the topic of temporary and inexpensive and may be sufficient for the needs of others. :) 

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=1197.0
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:31 PM »

Not bad for under $100. It looks like you're climate is just a tad warmer than mine. I guess it may require a little extra heating for tropicals where I live (zone 8a).  My main concern would be wind blowing it over. Maybe would do well in a sheltered spot.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

Not bad for under $100. It looks like you're climate is just a tad warmer than mine. I guess it may require a little extra heating for tropicals where I live (zone 8a).  My main concern would be wind blowing it over. Maybe would do well in a sheltered spot.
Hmmm, I paid $161 last year.  I'm in zone 8b.  I do use a small ceramic heater I think about $40.  Yeah, it comes with anchors and cords to tie it down but I think a big wind would challenge it.  The wooden fence next to mine helps protect it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:23:18 AM by plantlight »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:25 PM »

Saw one today, looked like it needs a sheltered position as it would easily go flying and as soon as ice falls from the sky might get damaged (unlikely tho). Bit more expensive over here thanks to the economic illiterates we call government and the fact that you pay for it with € of which they already took half of it :D
Praise is mandatory.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:11:38 AM »

Other options:
This is a link to an older post in the supplier section of the forum that features some of the even more inexpensive solutions I considered.  I didn't think any of these would work as well for me, as it seems that the shelving acts as support and takes up some of the interior floor space.  However, these appear to otherwise fit the topic of temporary and inexpensive and may be sufficient for the needs of others. :) 

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=1197.0

You don't have to use the shelves in these, though the outside sections of the shelves are part of the frame so you can only build half as many shelves to use elsewhere. The plastic on mine made it 2 years. I use the even smaller ones indoors for humidity. Worth the money just to be able to knock it down and set it up with various shelf configurations.

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:16 PM »

I've got one very similar to that BubbleCat.  Hard to tell the dimensions for the pics, but I think the one I got is a bit bigger and cost me about $100 USD, so there is definitely some markup on that one.
It worked well for me for extending my outdoor season a bit, protecting my plants from early frosts before the real cold finally settles in.
I say worked because it was eventually blown over when we got some strong winds, despite my efforts to secure it.  The cover was not damaged, but some of the poles and connectors were. Totally repairable, just haven't needed to since I ended up buying a more permanent greenhouse.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »

Yeah. Hard to tell dimensions if it says "180 by 240 metric, 149 metric $" on the pic ;)

Did anyone ever put such thing (and maybe a permanent greenhouse) to the test and compare inside vs outside temperatures at day and night (assuming you dont put a heater in ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:05:22 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

kykeion

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:14:21 PM »

LOL, I looked at the price on the tag but not the dimensions, duh.

And besides all that metric mumbo-jumbo is Un-American! ::) ;)

J/K, looks like it is about 1/2 the size of mine then.

I never tested it systematically, and couldn't give you any numbers, but I thinks its protection in akin to covering plants at night with a sheet or tarp to protect from frost.
My aunt says her unheated and poorly insulated/sealed greenhouse (permanent) usually stays ~10 degrees F warmer that outside.
My heated greenhouse has been dipping into the 20s at night, but the outside temp has been as low as -8.  Even now at noon the outside temp here is 20 degrees F.

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »

I have a  Harbor freight / One stop gardens 6 by 8     :'( 

Dont make the same mistake I did

Bought it for 225$ took 300$ worth of lumber to make halfway stable, and about 2 dozen caulk tubes, and a clear tarp to stop the major drafts !

Im so sick of looking at the POS it's coming down next year standing or not (likely not)
III%

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »

I use the even smaller ones indoors for humidity. Worth the money just to be able to knock it down and set it up with various shelf configurations.
I came close to purchasing a smaller one this year for my garage just to contain the heat of a small space heater.  I have some extra space for plants but the garage is unheated. Mostly, I use heating mats  and clear storage containers but this isn't a good solution for the larger plants.

I probably will get one next winter :)

kykeion

• Trader
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »

Yeah, I've got the Harbor Freight 10x12.
I got a pretty good deal on it so the extra I had to put into it was less painful financially. I was able to salvage a lot of the materials to reinforce it which helped too.
It certainly needs some more work at this point too to better insulate.
Considering what I have put into it I probably could have bought one of the "better" more expensive ones at this point.  Though I will forever question quality on such items.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »

Im so sick of looking at the POS it's coming down next year standing or not (likely not)
Lol! True meaning of temporary :)

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »

This thread makes me happy to live in FL :D
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax