Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: cacti pups & branching  (Read 4156 times)

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
cacti pups & branching
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »

i am taking some trich cacti cuts, and am wondering whether i should remove whole pups from the base of the mother plant, or should i cut the pups leaving a small stump of a pup (or more, possibly half?) on the mother plant? i have one plant with a few decent sized pups on it, almost 1ft tall by idk 3in diameter, but mothers not much bigger, so encouraging more pup growth is preferred.
i imagine removing the whole pup is probably healthier for both pup and mother, but they should be fine regardless...if i cut the pup and leave a stump at the base, that should encourage pups to grow off the stump, correct? but does removing whole pups induce branching/more pup production as well?  does it make a difference?
question might be slightly confusing, i know. any help appreciated!
thanks!

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
Re: cacti pups & branching
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »

myself, its a question of asthetics & whats best for the cut, so i will remove a branch pup in its entirety.

i have one plant with a few decent sized pups on it, almost 1ft tall by idk 3in diameter, but mothers not much bigger, so encouraging more pup growth is preferred

I would recommend no more than one branch cut on a plant such as this, allowing it to use the remaining biomass to continue growing.  If it has available resources, it will grow another pup to replace the one taken, most generally adjacent to the removed one.

www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First