Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grafting to Schlumbergera  (Read 4011 times)

LSoares

• Trading Score: 3
Grafting to Schlumbergera
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »

I didn't see this mentioned here, so here it goes:

After seeing this video, I decided to try this technique for myself. I am relatively proficient with grafting to the more conventional stocks (Pereskiopsis, Myrtillocactus, etc.), so it shouldn't present any major problem to me (it didn't). I followed the instructions really close and grafted four small LW seedlings. After one week, three had taken and the pads were put to root on pure pumice. After another week, given that roots were beginning to show, they were put on my conventional cactu mix and placed under fluorescent tubes on a 12/12 cycle. These are the pics at the moment of repotting and after four weeks.

Z, in sunny Lisbon

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
Re: Grafting to Schlumbergera
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:43:09 AM »

Thanks for the info. I've grafted onto Trichocereus sp in the past.  I have a large Schlumbergera though that I now view in a different light.
"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell

LSoares

• Trading Score: 3
Re: Grafting to Schlumbergera
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »

Now that I have had the grafts going for a number of weeks I can say that it is not hard but it will not speed the scions a lot. If you want fast growth, go for other stocks. Grafting to Schlumbergera, however, has the advantage of being possible year round and absence of glochids.
Z, in sunny Lisbon