Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: interestg video on the impact of Air Pruning  (Read 11769 times)

bezevo

Re: interestg video on the impact of Air Pruning
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »

I was  interested  in updates  on how  your plants did in theses types of plants .
Also  has anyone used them with columnar cactus ?

also opinions on using these types of  pots with cactus ?

thanks
I GROW !

zone 5b

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 11:53:55 PM »

I wasn't pleased with them, at least the smaller pots.  Too early to say with the larger ones.   The small pots dried out too quickly as they drain very well and I used my usual light soil mix.  I had a very difficult time keeping them hydrated in the summer. 

I think the rapid drying and rehydration stressed them so that the plants in ordinary pots did better.  Next time, I'll make the soil mix more dense to see if that works better.  Of the 18 that I started, all but 1 are still growing but I've repotted them into larger pots and didn't notice a real difference in root formation. 

The plant that died, dried out between waterings.  :(
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »

Here is a photo of 2 leaves from the same plant started out at the same time. The one on the left in the air pot and ordinary pot on the right.  I didn't start this as a test, I just didn't have enough air pots.  The difference in size is startling.

One thing that exaggerates the difference is that the one on the right was given morning direct sunlight and dappled sunlight noon onward.  The left got dappled light all day.  So 2 things going on here.  The air pot dried out quickly even in lower light and the other stayed well hydrated even though having some direct sunlight. 
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 03:42:52 AM »

My friend ended up not liking these pots either but swears by the true air pots (those spikey ones)

He said that these did dry out too quickly but there is an advantage to that.

The more your plant dries out the more you can fertilize it with nutrients, it means that its drinking a lot more. However these kinds of plants aren't like the kind of plants he's growing for this reason and are also more like vegetable crops if you will. So theres that to consider.

I want to try these for cacti so I don't have to worry as much about them here in FL, drying out super quick would mean they could take more rains, use better soil, and have healthier roots to boot. But we will see. He has promised me these to try for them.

I am trying regular fabric air pots for cacti real soon.
Pages: 1 [2]