Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: interestg video on the impact of Air Pruning  (Read 11997 times)

mj

• Trading Score: +54
interestg video on the impact of Air Pruning
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: interestg video on the impact of Air Pruning
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:12:44 PM »

Time for a new Psychotria Viridis leaf rooting experiment. :) I just placed my order for some starter pots.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

mj

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:30:58 PM »

I made an inexpensive air pot for my Psychotria Alba stem cutting. I bought a plastic place mat at the dollar store, the mat is thin perforated plastic with about 1/32" pores all over.  I just cut it into length wise strips made a loop which I sewed together with a darning needle and some polyester thread and then cut a bottom of the same material and sewed that on as well. I think I could have bought a pot for less but This was faster and it turned out to be a nice pot, my Alba stem cutting is in it now. From all the on line searching I have done it seems that the air pruning is amazing especially for trees. Best regards mj.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:45:09 PM »

I made an inexpensive air pot for my Psychotria Alba stem cutting.
Will you post a picture of the pot you made?  I'm trying to visualize. 
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

mj

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:07:29 AM »

I made an inexpensive air pot for my Psychotria Alba stem cutting.
Will you post a picture of the pot you made?  I'm trying to visualize.

will do, just give me a day or so, I need to borrow a camera and a cable to get the picture into my computer. Best regards mj.
PS:  reusable fabric shopping bags make excellent large plant bag, lots of you tube vids on that sort of thing. /the magic part to remember is four inches longer in every direction than your existing pot when you transplant into an air pot. So that means eight inches wider and four inches deeper. You can also drill some holes in existing pots to achieve the same results.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:30:49 AM by mj »

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »

Wow those photos are amazing. I want some of these pots. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »

I purchased the Express 18 Air Pruning tray with containers to experiment with planting Psychotria Viridis.  The pots are 3.125 square by 4" tall.  As previously documented here: http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2835.0 My preferred method is to root and sprout in water then plant the spouted leaves into small pots. 

These are the first two leaves planted in the new pots.  The leaves both started rooting about 14 weeks ago but the plant on the right is a bit faster growing.  The plants probably will remain in these pots for about 1 year before being transplanted into larger pots.  I plan to post an update at that time.

mj

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:01:08 PM »

Plantlight:  this is excellent news. I would like to ask you a few questions about your success with rooting leaf cuttings in water. Do you do your rooting inside or outside? I ask as I have repeatedly read that outside rooting is much better than indoors rooting. Secondly do you use an air pump to oxygenate your water along with an air stone/bubble stone? I just read your thread again which I had done in the past (short working memory) and have answered my question about the air pump so perhaps I should ask how often you change out the water in the jar? Also what is the PH of your local tap water (your town web site should tell you)?
   I was out to the post office at lunch to post some seeds to a buddy and on the way back I gathered up a shopping bag full of fresh snow. Upon arriving home I melted the snow and then gave it a boil to kill anything that might be in it that should not be and then filtered out most of the organics of large size with a coffee filter, then I took all of my zip lock bagged Psychotria leaf cuttings and replaced the paper towel and used the melted snow (PH 5.5) to wet the fresh paper towel. The idea is to see if the cuttings respond to the lower PH which ought to suit them better than the filtered tap water I was using.
   Some good news is that a good number of my non Viridis cuttings had signs of very small shoots having formed which were not there last week. I open the  bags to change the air and to have a look once a week or so. I expect that I will be seeing some Viridis shoots in another 2 - 4 weeks. So I am really happy about the shoots. My fingers are crossed in hopes that the corrected PH will make my cuttings a lot happier. than they were before. Best regards mj.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:44:29 AM by mj »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 11:34:13 PM »

Do you do your rooting inside or outside? I ask as I have repeatedly read that outside rooting is much better than indoors rooting.
I root them indoors where I can control the environment.  I'm using a heat mat right now to keep them warm enough. And a humidity chamber to keep them from wilting.

how often you change out the water in the jar?
  I replace the water and clean the jar about every 2 or 3 weeks depending on how clear the water looks to me.

Also what is the PH of your local tap water (your town web site should tell you)?
Last time I tested it, the tap water was ph8.8.

I too all of my zip lock bagged Psychotria leaf cuttings and replaced the paper towel a used the melted snow (PH 5.5) to wet the paper towel. The idea is to see if the cuttings respond to the lower PH which ought to suit them better than the filtered tap water I was using.
I root in ph7 distilled water.  I've tried lower ph water to root the leaves and didn't think it worked as well for me.  The lower ph does make a difference in the soil, however. 
The wet paper towel method works very well it you want the leaves to root in multiple places.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:50:25 AM »

Just picked up some of these for re-potting my Psychotria viridis.  They are 10 inch 7.5 liter.  Can hardly wait to try them.  8)

bezevo

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »

plantlight

those are nice planters what brand and were did you buy them ?
I GROW !

zone 5b

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 10:11:56 PM »

The small pots are Rootmaker from Rootmaker.com and the large ones are Rootmaster from Amazon.com

I don't have any previous experience with air pruning pots but I'm up for the experiment.  Wish me luck :D

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »

Any updates on those pots?

I'm going to buying a few 'smart pot' (those fabric containers) to plant some root heavy plants. Hoping that I can grow plants for longer without the stalling do to roots reaching the bottom and circling.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »

No updates except to say that they drain very well, as may be obvious from the design.  I like them so well that I've purchased multiple sizes for up potting but no plants need repotting yet.  I plan to update next Spring while repotting.  Hoping for lots of strong healthy roots. :)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »

Well, I suppose this may be of interest:  Here is a photo of the test group of 18 leaves along with the progression of pots for the best growers.  I plan to keep them in the starter pots for 1 year as mentioned in reply#6 above.  The leaves in reply6 are the tallest in this photo - 5" tall.

The large pots pictured are 3, 7.5, and 20 by GroPro.  I first purchased the 7.5 but later realized the this would not be best for the next up potting so I purchased enough 3s for all the plants shown.  There is 1 plant already in a 3.  I bumped it from test group early to make room for the Caboclinha that recently sprouted.

I did not document the repotting but I noted that the soil held together better than I had expected.  Too soon to make an conclusions but it seems to be promising. 
Pages: [1] 2