Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grafting Psychotria Viridis on to P. Alba root stock...  (Read 8617 times)

mj

• Trading Score: +54
Grafting Psychotria Viridis on to P. Alba root stock...
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:03:05 PM »

Just wondering if anyone ever grafted Psychotria Viridis onto P. Alba root stock. I am wondering if this might  perhaps speed the growth of the P. Viridis?  My guess would be the Viridis would grow at pretty much the same rate but I have no idea. What about the DMT content of the plant? Would a P. Alba plant grafted onto a P. Viridis root stock  then pick up DMT from the P. Viridis root or is the DMT production a function of the part of the plant above the ground? I have done some grafting a very long time ago but with apple not sure I could graft a Psychotria. Just curious mostly. Thanks for any thoughts mj.

PS: on an aside note I am also wondering which friendly bacteria and fungus will help with Psychotria Viridis growth. Is there an available product which works well with these plants. I have seen examples of how well some plants respond to the symbiotic combination and it looks impressive. Friendly bacteria of very many strains can be found inexpensively in drug store acidophilus. Specific fungi is less easy to find and costs more but if it helps it is worth it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:14:11 PM by mj »

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Re: Grafting Psychotria Viridis on to P. Alba root stock...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »

I'll be trying this come spring time long with other experiments. The growth rate should increase for the scion although not sure there is an alkaloid transition from stock/roots to scion.

It has been reported that it has been done in the past but there is no commercial value so not common practice.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

mj

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »

I'll be trying this come spring time long with other experiments. The growth rate should increase for the scion although not sure there is an alkaloid transition from stock/roots to scion.

It has been reported that it has been done in the past but there is no commercial value so not common practice. I cannot find concrete papers or threads of this only second hand comments so far but it would seem reasonable to think grafting possible.

I don't know much about plants but I wondered if there were any other options for the root stock plant which would provide for even faster growth than P. Alba would for P. viridis? I just got curious after seeing the LW grafts growing on succulents.
   There must be interest in grafting coffee plants to hardy fast growing root stock and any root stock that could be used for coffee could probably be used for P. Viridis. Robusta Coffee seems like a very hardy fast growing plant which has been used as root stock for other coffee plants.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dailey/VegetativePropagationTechniques.pdf

http://www.coffeetimes.com/future.htm

https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/manual-for-arabica-cultivation-vs.pdfÂhttp://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs306
http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm
http://www.atlascoffee.com/pacamara.pdf
http://www.coffeeresearch.org/agriculture/coffeeplant.htm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:00:21 AM by mj »

modern

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:50:38 AM »

I am not sure on the growth rate of coffee but that would be a possible grafting stock for viridis.

Any plant in the Rubiaceae family 'should' be comparable however the closer to the scion the better so alba has a high chance of success. I am gonna try grafting onto Mitragyna speciosa as well as alba due to the very fast growth rate and basically being an aquatic plant lol.

Check plants in the subfamily Rubioideae as they may have a slightly higher chance of success.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 01:44:54 AM »

A fast and easy to care for source of what it seems you seek would be Phalaris Aquatica and Brachystachys. This project seems like it would take a few years and lab analysis. Maybe using worm tea would solve any growth issues. From what I see and understand is that Psychotria grows fine and gives generously without too much hassle. A very lovely organism living and growing fast in my experience as well. I'm a bit mixed up with the alkaloid intentions. If you're looking to have a fast growing plant producing tryptamines then grafting a psychotria onto coffee probably wouldn't be wise. Give it 2 years to grow. There'll be plenty of shrubs amongst your residence. And these experiments rule but why discuss alkaloid transferring if we are unable to go into depth on this topic on this forum? Availability of that alkaloid is infinite.

Can anyone post photos of their current Rubiaceae family grafting attempts?

:)
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

modern

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »

I have a few pictures of 2-3 failed attempts lol. My area has had a few powdery mold and other infections near by and some of my plants have paid the price. I think I have controlled it and only ended up with only 1 major loss of a plant I hope to get again in the future. A few newly rooted plants died due to some black disease? not from the base.

The grafts looked fine for about 2 days than just drooped suddenly; I held some hope but knew it failed. I bought a grafting tool that I hope will increase success rate and am regrowing my kratom and trying to root some cuttings.

Psychotria grows pretty slow at first but seems to pick up some speed with time/age. The main reason I hope to graft would be a more hardy plant that could grow faster.

mj I was suggested to attempt an 'approach graft' when grafting psychotria for better chance of success.

mj

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »

found this video how a coffee plantation grafts. Best regards mj.

doublebenno

• obsessive* plant collector
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
  • enjoying the journey :-)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »

Great question!
I have been considering for a while now, grafting a viridis to a psychotria carthagenensis...
It is probably not necessary as both grow well in my climate, however the carth is a lot less maintenance...... kinda wanna do it for the hell of it though.... I will definately post results if i pull my finger out and get onto this!
it's a lovely day!

Mean maximum temperature (°C) 25.5, highest 43.2
Mean minimum temperature (°C) 15.7, lowest 2.3
Mean rainfall (mm) - 145
Elevation - 38 m

mj

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 06:27:32 AM »

Great question!
I have been considering for a while now, grafting a viridis to a psychotria carthagenensis...
It is probably not necessary as both grow well in my climate, however the carth is a lot less maintenance...... kinda wanna do it for the hell of it though.... I will definately post results if i pull my finger out and get onto this!

I would like to grow a P. Carthagenesis some time, I have just started to grow a P. Alba and that is a very good growing plant as far as I can tell and a very good match to P. Viridis. Good luck and please do post if you decide to do a graft to let us know how it went. You might try grafting a Psychotria onto a Coffee plant a Robusta they are close and it should work and Coffee grows faster than any Psychotria does. Kratom would be an even faster growing root stock option. Just going by the guy in the video with the big hat and the Coffee plants it would seem to be a pretty easy thing to do. I would also guess that like most things there is always more to it than meets the eye. That's what practice is for. Best regards mj.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:28:23 AM by mj »

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »

Any results?

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »

I haven't grown either of these plants in years. I used to give these little guys out by the boxful though as they are both incredibly easy to grow. P. viridis of course being the slower grower might very well benefit from being grafted to a P. alba. Suffice it to say an approach graft should be extremely easy with these two and I'm not sure why no one has presented any pictures of one completed yet.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lukas123

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +64
  • High on Life
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »

I wonder how alkaloid content would change if P.Viridis is successfully grafted onto a graftstock.
I remember an old article about tomatoes grafted on a MJ plant where the tomatoes did get an THC content afterwards.
Maybe it is the graftstock that get it´s alkaloids transfered into the new graft, and maybe the graft get it´s amount of own alkaloids lowered.
Just a thought, do we have any grafting wizards here who knows these things?

Sounds like it would be possible to graft P.Viridis onto P.Alba and even onto closly related plants.
But some plants dont like to be grafted at all, i hope it works.
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

MRTree

• Trading Score: +67
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »

I have grafted viridis to alba before but the plant died in a move , after the graft took I didn't really notice a reasonable increase in mass from the viridis , in fact, new growth from the alba would attempt to make new routes around the viridis. I think like most stocks the benefit to this is being able to plant it in a colder region or against a disease that attacks the roots, or for fun to practice grafting skills but I didn't really notice any much more growth improvements . And due to genetics I doubt that any increase in potency , except small in very small amount s would be noticed that couldn't be done with better soils and conditions . This is my thoughts on it , others may have had bigger plants survive and noticed completely different results , I find genetics to be the best choice for faster growth , p. Nexus,  and for some reason a viridis cultivar I got from here s metabolism is faster than a lot of my viridis and sometimes on par with alba s I have .
what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were, a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing..source
of all existence