Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Kola germination  (Read 6028 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Kola germination
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »

Hello family!

So I have a couple of seeds from the kola genre, not sure if is Cola acuminata, cola nitida or even garcinia Kola... the good news is that after a  long waiting one seed germinated!

My method was:
                    -  Soaked the seeds for 24h in warm water with a 600ppm GA3 solution
                    - Place them inside a zip bag with moist sphagnum moss, with a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide to avoid any nasty bacteria.
                    -  Dispose the bag on a terrarium, only with natural light for 6/7h and controlled temperature, around 20c / 68f.
                    -  And wait... wait... wait... for 8 months!  :o

Great info about this species here

happy growing! ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Re: Kola germination
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »

This one takes me 18 months to get to this stage.. thats what I call patience!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Darwins Farm

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:22:20 AM »

This one takes me 18 months to get to this stage.. thats what I call patience!
Very cool, Rose. I just planted 4 cola nitida. Seed is still soft enough to cut half the cotyledon off with a knife, fairly easily. How fresh were your seeds?
I found a tutorial showing a process where they cut it in half (top off) and sow cut side up then cover lightly with sandy loam. I did the same but with potting soil. I water most plants fairly often and then will move to greenhouse before winter. So I think I can pull it off in potting soil.
I read some case studies showing 50% removal of cotyledon (top half of nut) improved rates. That study used several mediums, including potting soil, so I think it might work. I use a coco Cori based potting soil that I have had lots of germination luck in. I mix in a little compost and pine fines for mature tropical plants.

EVENEVE

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »

ohhh i got a bunch of these ... sad to read they take so long....i better putem in now then.... any luck warming em ???? any tips anyone ?????