Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rooting E. novo cuttings  (Read 4724 times)

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
Rooting E. novo cuttings
« on: September 20, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »

I've got three E. novo that are about a year old. They have easily grown by a factor of 20 or more this summer. I didn't see an old thread regarding rooting these plants. I took three cuttings a month ago and treated them exactly like I do kratom, and it appears that they have rooted! Since they are in rockwool, I can't really tell for sure yet, but I know that at least two have obviously grown over the past month and they seem to be well attached to the cube. The biggest one had a bit of a woody stem, and it was the first one to attach and it has grown the most. Maybe this is old news, I don't know, but I thought I'd share that with the forum.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Re: Rooting E. novo cuttings
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:42:33 PM »

Good job. A while back I read that they rarely root and mainly propagate through seeds which is easy considering they fruit so readily. I assumed it was from a lack of proper technique since e.coca is exclusively propagated by cuttings due to being sterile.

So you used no rooting hormone and just kept them moist? From what I remember only 'green' or very thin woody stems root and thicker/older stems didn't. When mine are large enough I will experiment with rooting hardwood stems.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »

I used dip and grow for the hormone. Two of them had green stems, the other had about one inch of thin woody growth. I feel like that one became rooted after about two weeks.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:35:57 AM »

Good job. A while back I read that they rarely root and mainly propagate through seeds which is easy considering they fruit so readily. I assumed it was from a lack of proper technique since e.coca is exclusively propagated by cuttings due to being sterile.

Yeah, what he said.  That's almost word for word what I was going to comment. 
Fingers crossed these make it.  I have had mixed results with taking cuttings from woody plants. I can get them to root, but fro some reason I eventually loose them

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:14:32 PM »

What happens with the clones?

The Seedist

• Trading Score: +35
  • A bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »

I've got three E. novo that are about a year old. They have easily grown by a factor of 20 or more this summer. I didn't see an old thread regarding rooting these plants. I took three cuttings a month ago and treated them exactly like I do kratom, and it appears that they have rooted! Since they are in rockwool, I can't really tell for sure yet, but I know that at least two have obviously grown over the past month and they seem to be well attached to the cube. The biggest one had a bit of a woody stem, and it was the first one to attach and it has grown the most. Maybe this is old news, I don't know, but I thought I'd share that with the forum.
Did you try this method http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/air-layering/ JMZ? I did it and got no success. Try this method and let us know how it works in your case. Thanks.
Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.