Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chlorine in water  (Read 5200 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Chlorine in water
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »

I wonder if
- chlorine in water will make the water unsuitable for preserving cuttings until they get into their place for rooting
- chlorine in water will inhibit or complicate rooting of cuttings placed in it
?

The scenario is as follows: I am returning back home from my vaccation abroad soon and obviously I took cuttings :) now usually I would soak paper towels and wrap it around the stem, finishing the construction by a layer of plastic foil wrap to keep moisture in and the dab on the stem. Upon arrival at home I will disassemble all this, recut the stems and place them in their rooting water or propagator.

Problem: It appears "they" dump chlorine in the tap water here (?!?) I can imagine its not good so now I wonder if I must buy bottled water so my cuttings make their 30 hrs journey well or if it will be fine storing them in chlorine rich water for a day. I wonder if the chlorine might take the plants ability to root, maybe even if recut ?

For reasons of completeness of the thread and the associated theory I am also asking if the plants might even root in that Cl-brew ?
Praise is mandatory.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Re: Chlorine in water
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »

A question to you BC:

Will the chlorine from the pool that gets on the plants around the pool harm them?  ::)

"Chloride (Cl-) is the ionic form of chlorine found in nature. It has a negative charge and is often associated with sodium (common table salt) or other positively charged ions like potassium. It is non-toxic and readily absorbed and used by plants.

Compare the concentrations of chloride and chlorine in water. Sea water, which contains high levels of bacterial life, contains chloride levels of around 20,000 ppm. Water treatment plants aim for chlorine levels of 1.7 ppm to disinfect water."

Check this experiment:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1y95-0ZjOf2S4FBds8UDOp0rOW_KNFSlswkE5VqgLf2M/embed?hl=en&size=s&slide=id.p39

Your cuttings will be fine!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »

Who still uses chlorine in pools ? :D well I dont like pools so I remove them when I get a place :D but yeah, good to know.
And I got bottled water anyway, half of the french flora is packed up now :)
Praise is mandatory.

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:31:41 PM »

I rooted my P. viridis in a jar with an inch of tap water (which contains chlorine).
I changed the water every 2-3 weeks.
I've been told on several occasions that chlorine only stays in the water for 24-48h so you can let it sit if you don't want the chlorine.

My guess would be that the little bit of chlorine that is in tap water is probably more helpful than harmful, killing germs that could contam the open wound of a cutting.