Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pereskiopsis spathulata  (Read 28790 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Pereskiopsis spathulata
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »

They are tropical plants. They love tons of water and they don't take to extreme sun very well. 

To go back on what I said earlier in this thread, they do not grow better in full sun, they grow very slow in full sun actually.  The plants I have inside under fluorescent lights grow WAY faster than my outdoor plants.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:23:16 PM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 01:47:46 AM »

I'm having trouble with some of my Peres.

I have quite a few of em in individual pots and they're doing great. Big and Happy.

About 2 feet away, I have a single large pot that has 6 Peres in it. These seem very sad. The leaves keep turning red before they mature, shrivel up, and then fall off. All of the Peres are outdoors for now, in a pretty shady area.

Any suggestions?

I'm kind of surprised because all of the Peres are in nearly the same conditions except the style of pot. Do they need to be potted individually? Do they "attack" each other? Is something else going on? Too much light?

Maybe there's just an hour or two more of light on the big pot?

I didn't see any bugs on the sad ones.

Many thanks,
Hcc
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:49:48 AM by happyconcacti »

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 02:39:45 AM »

How large of a pot is that? I'd imagine the pot with 6 pere in it is larger than the ones with only one each? Sounds like it's either rootbound or lack of nutrients, both as a result of too many in not enough space... so your solution would either be to fertilize or to transplant the group into a larger pot or something of the sort.

You would have to measure the different areas you have your pere to see if the amount of light over the course of the day is any different, it could have something to do with it too.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:43:13 AM by TBM »

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:09 AM »

Do they need to be potted individually? Do they "attack" each other?

I too would like to know the answer to this.^^

I have around 10 pere's in my garden which I need to dig up and bring indoors because of winter and I'd like to try and conserve as much space as possible. I hope they can be potted together without ill effects.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »

Okay. So here's my experience.

Pereskiopsis don't have a lot of root mass, but they like to stretch their roots out a lot.  I've recently began to prefer to put multiple in big pots because they grow way faster and are healthier when they have the extra leg space, so no, multiple pereskiopsis in a large pot is no problem. 

Although, I have had masses of them in the same conditions in individual pots where most are doing amazing, but a few of them are barely alive.  I'm not sure exactly why, but when I take those out of the pots vs. the healthy ones, one aspect is always the same.  The root systems on the unhealthy ones are very weak and undeveloped. I'm not sure the cause, but you may want to give those pereskiopsis a nice root serum to stimulate their root systems.  Healthy roots = healthy plant. 

So no, the big pot with multiple peres isn't the issue. They actually do way better for me in big pots grouped together than in smaller individual pots.  I get faster graft growth and more flowers on the scions and with no grafts I get a WAY faster growth rate for the peres. I can't say for sure what the problem is though, but you may want to do something to jump-start that root system!

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 04:54:15 AM »

Whats your experience with individual plants in varying pot sizes.
Last fall I planted a bunch in those 6 cm square starter pots and quite a few in 9 cm square pots, kept them in the same trays and gave them liberal ferts. The larger pots made larger grafted trich stems (not sure if it was larger trich mass per square foot, but I'm only concerned about individual specimen performance.)
Will it benefit individuals at all to go beyond that size for the most cherished grafts?
I've been eyeballing my stacks of those tall round 6" pots, lol

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 05:17:24 AM »

I always pot them individually in small planters (3 inch grow bags) and then replant into 6 or 8 inch pots after the graft is about a month or two old. Add a bit of trichoderma and add a ton of nitrogen rich ferts. Normally I get to three year old size in 10 months or so.
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 05:31:03 AM »

I start off all my grafts in small 3-4" pots.  Then my most prized grafts go into big 12" pots (5-6 pereskiopsis per pot) and they flower like mad (globulars.)  The columnar grafts are usually 2-3x the girth of smaller individual potted grafts. The growth rate increases 2-4x after a brief period (1-6 weeks) of slow scion growth while the stock is rooting. 

I have done bigger individual pots, but I haven't noticed any difference between a big pot with one and a big pot with several.  You save more space when you group them, and each one gets more room to spread it's legs.  Like I said before, they spread out a ton, but they don't have a huge root ball.  It's mostly just long fat roots with lots of feeders rather than a big old ball of roots like Salvia divinorum.

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »

Should I let the ends callous before trying to root cuttings like on normal cacti  ? ?
III%

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 02:18:55 AM »

I did some dry (normal cacti callous) and some wet and Pereskiopsis rooted easily with each. 

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »

I just put them directly into wet soil. They don't need to callous.

I like to wet the soil, use a pen to make the holes, put the pereskiopsis in like plugs, and wait a week or two. If the soil gets bone dry, i'll water them.

100% success rate :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:03:52 PM by happyconcacti »

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 03:28:14 AM »

I did most of mine un-calloused with rooting hormone, put into Dry soil for 1 day and then made moist, inside a humidity dome.
 They seem to have perked up already (less than 2 days) !

Anyone ever eaten the leaves ?   according to the article they are eatable 
III%

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »

I have rooted and grown several cuttings from single leaves. Takes a long time.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/
Pages: 1 [2]