Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ringworm's psychotria propagation  (Read 9834 times)

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Trading Score: +82
  • Love for all life.
Ringworm's psychotria propagation
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »

Disclaimer this was written by Ringworm and not me. therefore all credit must go too Ringworm!
I will post it in multiple post to keep as true as possible to the original post. All pictures are Ringworm's and all credit for the pictures must go to Ringworm.

I've done this lil grow guide for several forums out there.
I like to do it as the knowledge is free (for you).

I encourage people to spread this information far and wide, please download the pictures and repost them with the guide in other places, just please credit the post with my username "Ringworm".... I have lost these images twice already and have found them once on an old computer and once online simply by some savvy googlin :-)
The only other thing I ask is this:
PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO BUY PLANTS FROM ME.
I do not have any, I do not grow any plants anymore, and it'll hurt my feelings a lil bit that I can't just give you a hundred plants because you asked... ok?

There has been some confusion through the years regarding Psychotria species. I am not a botanist, taxonomist, etc I simply had a farm for many years where I grew as many of these little buggers and got them out into the world. There has been some speculation that these are Psychotria alba due to the lack of Espina.... I can only say that the several cultivars I grew did indeed have the espina, but it seemed weather dependent, they only really had them in the hottest part of the year.
No matter the species, the technique for propagating via leaf cutting would be the same, so take the info for what it is worth.

you may need to download these photos and zoom in with a seperate browser to be able to see the images clearly... sorry for any problems with that.

The mother plants were from several sources that I had acquired sometime between 1997-2000.
This one was originally from Theatrum Botanicum Psychotria viridis

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:26:54 PM by Psylover »
Be good. Be evil. Just remember there's a balance jing and jang. good is only good because of evil. Evil is only evil because good.
So removing all evil would be removing all good?

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
Re: Ringworm's psychotria propagation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:30:11 PM »

Disclaimer this was written by Ringworm and not me. therefore all credit must go too Ringworm!

This one was dropped off by the original owner and founder of Cielo Ethnobotanicals when he visted the farm, also Psychotria viridis, listed as seed grown. Note the flatter color
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:42:05 PM by Psylover »
Be good. Be evil. Just remember there's a balance jing and jang. good is only good because of evil. Evil is only evil because good.

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »

I also received a Psychotria carthageninsis at that time from the same donor. note the more rounded leaves.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:43:21 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:48 PM »

So I did the obvious thing.... I grew the plants out until they were large enough to start experimenting with mass production.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:45:13 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:32:22 PM »

In order for a leaf cutting to work properly, several things must occur. First the leaf should be mature, this aids it's survival simply by the leaf being harder and more rigid... This is very important as the leaf very well may have to survive the next 6-8 months before having a substantial plant emerge from it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:45:56 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »

I noted early on that a leaf will root and survive and make one little plantlet easily. However I also noted that by breaking the main stem/vein of the leaf, each crack functions as a node, thus 20-30 plants can be easily teased from one leaf.... when dealing with 500 leaves, this is an exciting proposition!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:46:33 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »

Due to the need for the soil to remain very wet and humid for a very long time, I did not use a Peat moss based soil (fungus gnats and stuff would be a problem).
I instead used a Pine bark based soil and encourage you to do the same. Lay the leaves in the pots like so:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:47:37 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »

Give it a month or so and you should have roots. Hotter and wetter the better, no direct light please!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:48:22 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »

Shoot, we got time, let a few more months go by. Now at this point, it is actually a very good time to divide the little plantlets as they are easiest to tease apart. One thing I noticed is that if you were to cut out as little of the leaf stem as possible, remove just the plant and replant the leaf, more baby Psychotrias will arrive in the future.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:49:13 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »

Fast forward another few months, many divisions have been made and two "crops" are visible.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:49:49 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »

The only pests noted were Aphids on young growth, some white fly, but probably only a problem in a greenhouse.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:50:32 PM by Psylover »

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:39:11 PM »

and those freaky horn worms on older growth. Both are treated easily in many ways.
Ok, well I hope that helps you folks out there,
Stay Green!
Ringworm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:50:58 PM by Psylover »

Ringworm

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »

Looks good dude.  Thanks for spreading the word.
This same style of propagation works for all Psychotria species.  I've also rooted lots of other leaves (Salvia D comes to mind) but most of them never make a plant.

Anyway, I'll bookmark this link and answer any questions that might pop up, tho I'm certain the knowledge on growing these has surpassed what little I knew and did (I started growing with this style in 1998 or so)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »

Welcome ! :D
Praise is mandatory.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929