Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fighting and preventing mold on roots  (Read 4327 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Fighting and preventing mold on roots
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »

So recently I have again started rooting Humulus Lupulus - Hops. They are eager to develop roots but sadly I also managed to get substancial amounts of mold on some plants rendering them write offs and also some roots are affected.

Now I dont have a bubbler or any C9H7NO
 at the time but I try to change water as much as possible. Anyways, the mold is already on the roots and some of the plants are really interesting to me since they have features I havent seen before. What can I do ? I considered adding x concentration of bleach for y amount of time to the rooting water ? Will it do more harm than good ? Anyone knows what else I could try ?
Praise is mandatory.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Fighting and preventing mold on roots
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »

Have you already tried hydrogen peroxide? It's my mold/mildew first go-to.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »

None at hand :( can try to get some soon but yeah ... theese days buying anything will make you sign 10 "im not a terrorist" papers and still rais eyebrows :D
Praise is mandatory.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:42:56 PM »

They don't sell peroxide at the pharmacy there?

(Is that what C9H7NO is? I'm like a caveman next to you, Bubble   ;D)

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »

You want H2O2
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »

Those roots look good to me at the point they can be placed in soil without problems, dont you think?
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:08:09 AM »

FP youre not a caveman :D they do sell everything as long as its legal, if they have on stock whats not usually asked and yeah the usual strange doubts :D

modern I know H2O2 is hydrogenperoxide ;) just thought someone might know something I have on hand like cinnamon or idk, ill get them something tomorrow.

C9H7NO is awesome ! I have mentioned it before on here and to my suprise found out many gardeners overseas dont seem to use. It was originally developed as internal medicine, bad move but yeah, today used as external medicine for all kinds of infections, fungal bacterial and so on. Its rather non toxic in fact the internal application only became a bad move when people periodically ingested C9H7NO. So yeah its one of my favourite treatments or means of preventation for any moldy bacterial issues on plants. Already sowed seeds and planted cutting in vitro after treatment, no infection, slight issues on the plant, in fact my Voacanga was born by accident in a strong solution.

Mhmm yeah on the pics they look fine, I wonder if they like tom yam soup maybe thats the issue. But apparently there is some mold on the upper parts of some of the roots, I guess thats because it was in the sealed container with the water but the water level sunk so they yeah ... developed that mold probably after new roots died back. Since I want to send some around Im not going to pot them ;)

So yeah... tomorrow I see guys.
Aaand taddaaa: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-Hydroxyquinoline awfull english name
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:10:52 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.