Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Datura hybridization?  (Read 5320 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Datura hybridization?
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »

Is it possible to get any viable hybrid seeds, simply by growing different specie of Datura near each other?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Datura hybridization?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »

Yes, happens with metel and ferox all the time in the bush here.
End up with a medium spiked pod, not long like ferox, but not short and blunt like metel.
It's progeny is fertile but the form is highly variable and unstable from what I have seen. They seem to be much less hardy, getting wiped by insects quite often, unlike the pure originals.
Never seen any cool colours or anything from feral wild ones, but the possibility is there I guess?
I always keep an eye out just in case.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Radium

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »

Amazing,
Time to start a new hobby, plant hybridization  8)
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »

Cross-quoting [from Shaman-Australis]
Datura metel (mom/seed bearer) will accept D. inoxia, D. wrightii, or another D. metel pollen to produce viable seedlings.

Datura Inoxia (mom) x D. wrightii or D. inoxia will produce viable seedlings.

Datura leichhardtii (mom) x D. stramonium, quercifolia, ferox, discolor, wrightii, inoxia (pollen donors) will produce seedlings.

Datura ferox (mom) x stramonium, quercifolia, discolor... will produce seedlings

D. quercifolia x stramonium, quercifolia, ferox discolor, wrightii ... will produce viable seedlings

D. stramonium x quercifolia, ferox, discolor... will produce seedlings.

A quick look shows that leichhardtii and wrightii appear to be bridge plants for the genus Datura.

Other crosses are possible, but not via straight pollination attempts.

If your interested in this sort of thing... reasearch Blackeslee, A. F. as he did a tremendous amount of research with both Datura and Brugmansia.

Posted for those interested.

Datura metel (purple) x metel (yellow) have yielded some of the most beautiful color combinations/striping/splashing of colors that I have ever seen. Look around on the internet and you will find ample pictures of such hybrids and they are beautiful. This particular cross is highly variable in the F1 cross.

Radium

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:51:56 PM »

Datura is a real beautiful lady.
With her flower's obscure swirled tips and mysterious smell, she always reminds me of witch stories like Hansel and Gretel.
Unlike many other ethnobotanics, her looks really matches with her spirit.
I am in love with her, and will spread her anywhere I step.
Because I just love to see my sexy love everywhere
But despite all the love story, I really respect her, and believe I'm not worthy of her love, therefore I just watch and admire her beauty, and never touch her.

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »

Datura discolor, Datura wrightii... some Datura wrightii hybrid seeds still working on those hybrids.

Anyone else?

In the mean time, I have a few pure species collected from the Mojave desert as well below.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

EVENEVE

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »

hi.... im very interested in creating some stable hybrids and new colours or collecting variations of these beautiful plants, if anyone has seed or cuttings or plants for swap or sale i would love to chat, also pics and info on your experiences and successes and failures, i love sharing knowledge and experience it saves alot of time, ive got such amazing variations in growth and structure within packs of seed ive bought from the internet and grown myself, and even little environmental and fertilisation alterations are big factors when it comes to this prolific and diverse species..... i love the colour variations and the cultural applications and artistic and historical records referring to its uses and history, truely are amazing me daily!!!!.... i see and hear new things from new areas all the time........ im currently working on collaborating all my finds with adequate references and links soon in a page from my group, for everyone to enjoy.....so if you have any interesting facts and stories id love to hear them........,xxxxx Catara.....