Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cacti Seedling Grafts: Super Glue?  (Read 7260 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Cacti Seedling Grafts: Super Glue?
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »

Hi All,

I've been having trouble getting cacti seedlings to stick to pereskiopsis.

At first the grafts look good. After about a week the seedlings start to "rise up" off the pereskiopsis to the point where they're barely attached. They've been a humidity chamber to slow the drying process. Some of the grafts have taken but about half of em have risen up and aren't well connected.

In New Wisdom's grafting guide he mentions that some people use super glue to keep em on.

Has anyone done this?
If so, has it worked out well?
Any other suggestions?

I tried it with a couple grafts and it will be a couple weeks before I know if they took.

Hcc

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Cacti Seedling Grafts: Super Glue?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:33 PM »

I used superglue on me many times when I was in danger of fallin apart :D works like a charm, pure Cyanacrylate isnt poisonous to living beings, hardens in the presence of moisture, and sticks well. Also it is brittle so when the fixed person or plant moves or grows it will fall off in chips. I would definately try if you are in need since I can not see any downsides. Just make sure it doesnt get in the gap where it might interfere with tissu formation or intracellular exchange :)
Praise is mandatory.

mhorice

iboga seeds
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »

greatings here seeking people interest by iboga seeds i hv some nice fresh one

Quote from: Hcc
mhorice, Do not post irrelevant information in this thread
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:31:35 PM by happyconcacti »

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »

I wouldn't use super glue, but you can. I just think it may cause issues once it starts growing a lot and tries expands at the base. Although I've never had the need to use it, but here's what I think.  Maybe water is coming through and stopping the "cactus juice" from acting as a glue.  Are you letting them dry out for 3-7 days before the graft?  If you don't water will push up through the cambium and push the seedling off the pere. I'm just wondering because I rarely have that issue unless the pere is too hydrated. I let them dry for a week or so usually before the graft.  Of course your climate may only need 3 days or so unless you're growing them inside.

By the way, mhorice, this isn't the sub-forum for trade offers. Once you become a full member you will have access to the trading section and the ability to trade.

Thanks,
New Wisdom
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:36:46 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Desert Delirium

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:54:49 AM »

I love pereskiopsis for grafting, but every time i have used superglue it gets under the scion. Humidity domes sometimes work, but they don't apply enough pressure for the scion to fuse to the stock properly.

What you need to hold down the scion and ensure it doesn't dry out is the cling film method. You take your scion and put it on the stock as usual(with vascular tissue aligned of course). Then you take a square piece of cling film and gently drape it over the top of the scion. Next, grab the scion through the cling film with your thumb and index finger to hold it to the stock(do this with your dominant hand).
Then, while keeping the scion held to the stock, take your free hand and pull the loose cling film down and twist it around the stock until it firmly "hugs" the scion to the stock. Now, simply take a wooden clothespin and clamp it to the stock to hold the cling film in position. You can now adjust the scion slightly if it slid off of the vascular bundles.

Wait a week and done. Just keep it in the shade so it doesn't cook the scion. I dont currently have any pictures as far as i know, but i will dig for a bit and see what i can pull up.

Good Luck!

Edit:
I found I picture of some scions just after grafting!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:58:44 AM by Desert Delirium »

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »

Man wish I had read this post before my first try. 

I am going to try your baggie tek next.  Do those pere have any leaves? 

Desert Delirium

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:25:50 AM »

Usually yes. But I remove the top inch or so of leaves so the don't get in the way of my wooden clip.

Let us know how it goes and post pictures!

paperjack

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »

Hi, a local grower friend of mine directly sews the two cacti together using sutures. He uses biodegradable thread that disappears after a few months. It needs some practice but it might be a good idea if you don't want to use any chemicals on your cacti.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:55:24 PM by paperjack »

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »

Desert Delirium +1 Karma!

Sutures are love, but Desert Delirium's tek is 100% organic and pretty damn good.

I had 5/7 first try success when grafting with this method.  To be fair the thorny T. Bridgesii seedling was covered by a matchbook cover first and the bottom of the plastic bag more held with tape (sorry no pics), so its a mod of best fit. 

The family

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 05:49:54 PM »

Whoa! Nice plants Ian Morris!

Here's an update: I tried the superglue method on quite a few grafts, 17 if I remember correctly. Only 2 took. The superglue got in between the scion and stock. I had to go back through and cut the superglue out and re-graft them.

So my advice: don't use superglue  8)

Hcc