Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best stock for grafting L.williamsii  (Read 6606 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Best stock for grafting L.williamsii
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »

What's the best cactus to be used as stem for grafting Peyote?
I've heard grafting makes it grow a lot faster.
Could san pedro or peruvian torch make a good stem for it?
What cactus makes the peyote grow fastest?

Has anyone ever done it?

Generally, what's the effect of stem on the graft, aside from faster growth?
I mean does the graft inherit stem's chemical compounds?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:09:21 PM by Uranium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Best stock for grafting L.williamsii
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »

I'm looking into this myself. I was inquiring last night about the best grafting stock for seedlings and was told Peres

With a mature one would trichs be better? and if you had a fast growing trich would that be a good one to pick as a stock? Does it matter how fast it grows by itself?

My fastest growing trich appears to be T. Chalanaesis(from solartea's garden), I'm curious about its potential as grafting stock

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »

There is no 'best' stock just most commonly used. Trichocereus sp. are usually the go to grafting stock for most however Myrtillocactus sp and Stenocereus sp are other popular choices for permanent stocks.

Pereskiopsis are great for small seedlings and provide quick growth however for larger scions or regrafting from pereskiopsis you need a larger columnar stock. ANY stock will work however the faster the stock grows the faster the grafted cactus will grow.

Chickasaw in your case the t.chalanesis would be a great grafting stock as would t.cuzco due to fast growth. However depending on your climate you may choose another stock that is slower but more frost/water/temperature tolerant. Many commercial growers used t. terscheckii for certain cacti.

The alkaloids are not transported from stock to scion or the other way around. You can use an non-active cactus as the grafting stock and it will not effect the production of the scions content (other than perhaps ratio to size)

It is important however that you make sure the vascular rings overlap ensuring a correct connection. Use downward pressure to insure a secure join.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »

Here's an overview of different grafting stocks by Kada:

http://www.kadasgarden.com/Cgraftingstocks.html

If you scroll to there very bottom of that page there's an excellent table that shows which scions do well on what stock.

Hcc

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:42 PM »

For very young seedlings pereskiopsis is my faqvorite (over the other epiphytes) and for more mature buttons T. pachanoi and M. geometrizans are good. Each stock has it's perks, there isn't any one that is "the best" though.
Cactus = Life