Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to propagate grapevines from hardwood cuttings  (Read 3859 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
How to propagate grapevines from hardwood cuttings
« on: April 06, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »

This is a short description of the process of rooting grapevines:

-The recommended time to take hardwood cuttings is anywhere between November and February, when the plant is still dormant.

-Prepare a small pot for rooting the cutting by filling with equal amounts of sand, peat and perlite. You can also use fine gravel for rooting your cuttings.

-Remove all the lateral shoots and any dormant buds from the lower half of each cutting.

-Plant at a depth of about 2 to 3 inches in the rooting medium, firm the soil around the cuttings and water well.

-Place the pot in a warm, bright area, but make sure that they are out of direct sunlight. Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged.

-Transplant the new plants outdoors when the weather warms. April and May are generally good times to plant rooted grapevine cuttings.

I was able to root few small cuttings, that greench generously offer me, in 3/4 weeks with this easy steps. It was easier than I thought, rotting this 2cm cuttings with just one bud. Just keep them on hight humidity( 75%), controlled temperature (15-20 c) on a sunny window.

hopefully I can taste some grapes in some years!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
Re: How to propagate grapevines from hardwood cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:05:39 AM »

Impressive! Glad to see my mini cuttings were sufficient.  ;D
On my side, I tried with big ones (around 5-6 buds) and small ones (1 or 2). Some of the big ones have started rooting and have several leaves already. I'll check on the small ones.
The tutorial I read said to lay them flat on top of the soil or near the top so that's what I did.
Good thing you told me about your roots, I would have soon ended up with a jungle of tangled roots thanks to my impractical container...
Did you get 100% success?

For other readers, the cuttings were taken around Feb. 10th. They woke up really soon after that.

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »

Here are my results so far:
many unrooted on the left, and 2 rooted on the right (4 rooted actually, 2 have already been repotted at the time of picture)

Roze

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »

Nice roots you have there!

I've had near 100% success except the one I grafted to one mother plant, still no signs of life..

Little grapes are began to appear in the mature wines  ;)

Roze

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 06:12:47 PM »

The graft worked!  ;)