Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Propagating Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna) & Catha edulis (Khat)  (Read 7869 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330

I found a great resource for propagating Kanna. It's pretty similar to propagating most succulents really. But this is Kanna specific and has great pictures:

http://entheopedia.org/forum/index.php?topic=1110.0

Hcc

happyconcacti

• Administrator

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
Re: Propagating Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna) & Catha edulis (Khat)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »

My seed-grown khat plant is big and healthy now, with considerable 'woodiness' on the main stem. I'm hoping to propagate some cuttings soon, so I appreciate you sharing the second link. I might also try layering or air-layering.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Borstos

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:24 PM »

I have had a catha edulis plants some years ago also grown from seed and cuttings were really easy to make from it, no need for rooting hormone. As the stems of my plant hang down to the soil it was also possible to simply put the stems locally under the soil and they rooted.

Best luck with your cuttings!

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »

Excellent, thanks for sharing your experience Borstos. I'm glad to hear that layering is a viable option :)
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Borstos

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »

Glad I can help. I found layering in it's own soil easy because there is not much need to look after (although I looked quite often:). I wonder a little about the link stating that cuttings from green stems won't work. It worked for me quite well to simply make cuttings of green stems, taking off most of the leaves (leaving some small ones at the top) and placing in water, exchanging the water every three or four days. Don't know anymore how long it took to grow roots but I remember I was surprised how well it worked and I think it worked faster than layering. I suggest to try this method too even if the link states it won't work.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »

In rooting Kanna, I've found this to be the most important thing:

The trick now is to allow the moist media to dry out before you mist them down again. This wetting and then drying process helps to spread up the rate at which they root. In the humidity chamber they will be fine if the media dries out, but dont leave it dry for too long, but unlike with rooting of most herbaceous material the mix should not remain moist constantly. In about 3-5 weeks they should be rooted enough in 1" plugs to be transplanted.

(from the guide above in the original post)

Though, one difference, I do not suggest putting them in a humidity chamber. They just seem to get squishy in a humidity chamber. They seem much better of in ambient humidity allowing the medium to dry out completely. Once the soil is dry, a light misting seems to help out. And then repeating the mist/dry cycle.

Hcc

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:56:00 AM »

Nice tips happyconcacti thanks! Next time i may have some success.. :'( a good cutting got squishy after i left it in a humidity dome.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return