Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grafting Tape.  (Read 9537 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Grafting Tape.
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »

I just found out about this stuff. I ordered a roll. Pretty stoked to try it out. Especially since I have like 25 new columnar stocks getting established for grafting right now.  Check it out here!! 

"Buds and grafts succeed at a high rate with the use of Parafilm brand grafting tape. A gentle stretch makes it self-adhesive. Seals the bud or graft tightly keeping it moist and secure while allowing air to permeate the wound. Can also be applied over grafting rubber if a more secure hold is needed. Tape is clear and biodegradable in sunlight (thickness is 5mil). Recommended for deciduous fruit and nut trees, roses, grapevines, citrus fruit trees, coniferous evergreens, ornamental trees, deciduous shade trees and bonsai trees. If all you want is this item, due to the order being so small, orders must be placed online."

I'll try some of this out and update how it goes when I'm done with my experiments. 

New Wisdom

Cactus = Life

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Re: Grafting Tape.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »

That does look pretty cool, let me know how it works out :)
You are the man Wizzy 8)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »

It's really good stuff. I haven't used it on cacti but I helped my dad do ~500 apple grafts with parafilm. It's good stuff.

Hcc

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »

Yeah, somebody at SAB got the idea to start using it on columnar grafts.  So I'm gonna give it a try.  Seems like it would be really convenient.  Also that other parafilm product is used for seedling grafts.  The sticky plastic wrap kinda stuff.
Cactus = Life

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »

I'm so happy you're into plants, NW, otherwise you'd be Frankenstein.
:D well I think its time that I try a graft soon too, I never did except for some half hearted tries as a minor. Keep it up it's very cool stuff youre crafting especially those lacking pigments :D
Praise is mandatory.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »

It is great for grafting Lophophora to large grafting stock. Unfortunately is is almost useless for seedling / Pereskiopsis grafts. I have never tried it when grafting two columnar cacti together though, I imagine it should work very well.

The nursery Parafilm and lab / medical Parafilm are the same thing. Sometimes you can save money buying the lab stuff and cutting it to size.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »

Cool. I was planning on using it for grafting globulars to columnars.  Pretty stoked on it. 
Cactus = Life

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 06:54:24 AM »

If you like parafilm, you'll love BuddyTape.  Stronger and easier to use.  A quick internet search will bring up sources.  It's more expensive than parafilm, but worth the price difference.  I use it all the time for grafting tropical fruit trees, but no reason it wouldn't work for cacti.

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »

Dang. I saw 'parafilm' and jumped! I use parafilm in mycology. Bummed it wasn't the same. Oh well. Shame it doesn't work well for seedling grafts, that's primarily what I use. Cool stuff though. I'll get some to play with for my older specimens.

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:44:58 AM »

Dang. I saw 'parafilm' and jumped! I use parafilm in mycology. Bummed it wasn't the same. Oh well. Shame it doesn't work well for seedling grafts, that's primarily what I use. Cool stuff though. I'll get some to play with for my older specimens.

I used to use parafilm a lot to seal petri dishes and other lab containers.  Then I got into grafting and initially used  parafilm because it was familiar to me.  I saw a post on another forum about BuddyTape and decided to give it a try.  For grafting it's the best of anything I've tried.  With some practice you can fine-tune the compression on your graft union with far greater range than parafilm.  As far as use in mycology, it probably has no advantage over parafilm.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »

An alternative that can be used for columns or pereskiopsis grafts is this: carefully use a box cutter to cut a little mini-roll from a roll of kitchen grade plastic wrap. I made 1 cm and 4 cm rolls. On columnars the spines will hold it in place.. mostly, a rubber band and a paper clip will finish the job. On pereskiopsis I use clothes pins to hold it on. If the clothes pins are too tight and might squish the stock wrap a rubber band around the other end to reduce the tension, if the clothes pin hole is too big and wont grab the pereskiopsis just wrap some masking tape around the grabby end.
Quite cheap and it does stretch a little bit.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 01:42:36 AM »

My god,  I still use juniper root and pine resin !

Simple, effective, and most importantly Cheap
III%

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 05:25:14 AM »

How does that work? Never heard of anyone using roots and resin when grafting.
Cactus = Life

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 05:58:29 AM »

Never cacti but fruit tree's

The root is just a fiberous material to make cordage out of, and the pine resin is to seal it like wax

As soon as the ground thaws I will be doing a few, so I will post a few photo's
III%

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 01:25:39 PM »

I used to use strips of willow bark for tree grafting and air layering.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.
Pages: [1] 2