Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello from Puerto Rico  (Read 7189 times)

tranceporter

Hello from Puerto Rico
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »

Hello everyone, 
I joined since I saw the add over at DMT Nexus (I'm new there also).

I live on the tropical island of Puerto Rico (located in the Caribbean) so if anyone needs seeds from over here let me know.  I'm new to most of the plants and trees everyone has been talking about and I'm not sure if and where they can be found in PR...but the variety of soil types and temperature allow many types of plants to be grown here.  I'm also usually in the mood for a good adventure trying to find some.  Recently I searched the west/south west coast for Mimosa Hostilis...but didn't have any luck.  I did find a Yopo tree, but it's on private land...the owner did give me a seed...and I'm germinating it now :)

PR is a tropical rain forest in general...but has areas which are considered "desert" and also "dry forest" lands...which provide a great environment for cacti and plants  :D  We also have mountainous areas and wetlands...so I'm sure there are plenty of fun plants all around.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Hello from Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »

Welcome! PR is a place that interests me to live because of that!! I'm in the subtropical region of FL hope we can trade some tropical things soon :)

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »

tranceporter, welcome to STS and thank you for joining. You could update your profile's grow, share, and wish lists.

You may have already, but be sure to check out Rules and FAQ.
I hope you enjoy your stay  8)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »

Welcome!

I'm sure you'll love it here, if you need something just ask, we are very generous!  ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 02:46:37 AM »

Welcome, I went to PR to train with the National Guard once, beautiful place and really good group of guys and gals.  First time I tried coconut water, even tried a carbonated version that was pretty nice.

Look forward to trading with you, you are in the right place.

-Ian

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »

Hi tranceporter. Welcome to STS.  :)

tranceporter

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'll update my info asap.  I don't spend too much time online do to computer problems but I'll be around as often as possible.

I've been traveling around these past few days and keep seeing really interesting trees and plants here.  I even found a "Shaman's rattle root" tree yesterday :)  (Cassia Fistula)...which I here the Shaman's used to smoke in there ceremonies.  A friend also said that San Pedro cactus grow wild here in a certain area.

I'm starting to think that "psychonauts" of the past have left many natural gifts for us here on the island ;)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »

Welcome to STS!!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »

Nice to meet you tranceporter!
Pretty awesome place, lots of plant info.
Keep your eyes out for any "sea/beach beans" in your travels, seen some really cool ones from over there that I would love to add to the collection.
Enjoy your stay!!!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

tranceporter

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:53:13 AM »

Nice to meet you tranceporter!
Pretty awesome place, lots of plant info.
Keep your eyes out for any "sea/beach beans" in your travels, seen some really cool ones from over there that I would love to add to the collection.
Enjoy your stay!!!

Actually I live here ;)   and thanks for the advice.  I'll be on the lookout.

Hamsa4peace2

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 03:04:24 AM »

I'm from PR as well and I'm in need of yopo tree right here. I also have Mimosa Hostilis where I'm at :)

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »

I'm from PR as well and I'm in need of yopo tree right here. I also have Mimosa Hostilis where I'm at :)

So to my PR friends do either of you have access to Turnera Diffusa? The clone that was collected and is currently with the USDA is from PR.  It is a very hard plant to come across here in the states, I'd be very interested in getting a plant if anyone can procure one.

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 02:56:44 AM »

Yes, if you can find Turnera diffusa you will have a few very good friends here! It is said to grow on the island, and practically impossible to find in the US.

I posted some pics here:

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=4146.msg32239#msg32239
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »

Looks like tranceporter has been away for a while. If you come back, I found the location information where Turnera diffusa was collected by USDA in Puerto Rico:

Accession was collected. 05-May-2005. Puerto Rico
Locality: Penuelas, PR Habitat: Semi-dry coastal forest on limestone. Bursera simaruba, Metopium, Amyris elmifera, Capparis, Tabebuia heterophylla. Latitude: 17 deg. 59 min. 36 sec. North (17.99361111), Longitude: -66 deg. -42 min. -21 sec. West (-66.70611111) GoogleMap it. Elevation: 122 meters
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 04:32:28 AM »

Nice find Psylocke.
I actually have a couple leads on Turnera Diffusa.  There are a few vendors in EU and OZ with it so if my domestic cuttings don't work out we can try and get some help from our friends here to get some shipped.  If I get the cuttings and get them rooted I will put you on my list.