Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coffea Arabica propagation by leaves  (Read 8579 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Coffea Arabica propagation by leaves
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »

Hi family,

Since C. Arabica and the Psychotria's genre are from the same family (Rubiaceae), I decide to use the same method of propagation, and guess what I've succeeded!

I pick some healthy leaves and place it on water at room temperature ( its winter here so the temperature was around 10*c to 15*c) near a sunny window. After 2 weeks one leave developed roots.

The leaves that were on soil, with hight humidity, are still alive but no signs of root growth.

It can be concluded that the leaves of C. Arabica can be easily propagated in water with low temperatures, but perhaps higher temperatures may speed up the process...

Hope this helps someone that want to grow this specie!

Feel free to post any experiment with C. Arabica here, thanks for reading! ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Coffea Arabica propagation by leaves
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »

Awesome man! Thunderhorse had done this a few months back. He had sent me some coffee sprouts and wanted to inform me that rooting leaves was possible. He never made a thread about it unfortunately as I thought it was good knowledge that needed spreading. Fortunately you have had the same success and shared your experience! Hope that leaf grows you a whole plant!
Spreading love!

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »

I tried to take a branch cutting a couple months ago and while it's still green it hasn't sprouted roots yet. It had what I thought were roots poking out of the base of the stem but it turned out they weren't. I'll defiantly be trying this in the future. Thanks for sharing. +1

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:05:37 AM »

That is awesome and something I have had on the "to do" list since I first came here and saw Psychotria leaf reproduction.
I will start a warm temp trial right now!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »

That's great Roze, but continue the experiment on to it's logical conclusion...

Rooting is one thing, forming a shoot is something else altogether. Caapi leaves, for example, will sometimes root, and sometimes form tons of roots, but they steadfastly refuse to put up shoots.

That said I think it likely Coffea will form a shoot because it is so closely related to Psychotria, so keep at it and post your results!

:)
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »

Hey Roze: any update photos of your Arabica clones? Have you had sprouts develop? I am curious to learn if Coffee plants grow any faster than say Psychotria Alba or Psychotria Carthagenesis which are probably two of the fastest growing Psychotria varieties. I am wondering that if the coffee does in fact grow faster then it might make a really good root stock to help speed up Psychotria Viridis  growth by means of grafting the tow plants together. I suspect that this might be of benefit especially when growing P. Viridis in less than ideal conditions such as in cooler drier climates.  I have some coffee beans soaking right now (probably Arabica) overnight and I hope that I can get an idea of how quickly they grow compared to Psychotria Viridis seed. Best regards mj.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »

Ops, thanks for the reminder on this one!

Yes they have developed some shots, but only the ones that were on water, even with high humidity I have no luck rooting the leaves on soil.

About the speed of growing, its faster than viridis that's a fact. I can tell that is very similar to alba regarding speed growth.

That's a pic of the shots with 3 months.
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »

Thanks Roze those look nice. Does a leaf attached to a stem or partial stem root any faster. I remember reading somewhere that if even a small portion of stem was left attached to a leaf it would root more quickly than just a leaf with no stem attached. I am guessing that the reference was to Psychotria of some variety. I appreciate you posting the picture as it provides a good idea of what to expect over a three month time frame. Best regards mj.

medolon

• Trading Score: +30
  • Woods is the meditation
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:39:35 AM »

I found a whole study on this topic: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330735863_Study_of_Coffee_Plant_Propagation_Coffea_spp_with_Leaf_Cut

Looks like their tried different rooting hormones and different ways of cutting the leaf. Their conclusion was that the tip cutting was superior and also more mature leaves were better suited. Not sure about the specific rooting hormone, since there are so many - they tried several.

Kada

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 10:43:15 AM »

Very cool.  I had only seen roots, not actual plants from leaf cuttings.  well done!

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 02:36:20 AM »

Awesome thread
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:44:54 PM by RatsboggleBiological »