Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: AQ1  (Read 10448 times)

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___
AQ1
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »

After months of research i'm still not 100% sure if i have grown AQ1 or not its amazing..
Thats because i have phalaris aquatica everywhere near my house so i never bought seeds.
Does anyone have photos of a certified AQ1 specimen?
Zone: Caput Mundi

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: AQ1
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »

Im repeating myself ^^ I have shared my opinion on this in another thread before: No, most likely you havent. Many Phalaris are very present in many locations, my gardens grasses nearly all identify as some sort of Phalaris in all 5 gardens, still I dont think any commercial breed is amongs them. The odds of such species getting into the wild, invading my or your garden and staying true to type would be amazingly small. Also you wont be able to tell from pictures, maybe not even from detailed descriptions. Im sorry I dissapoint you altho nothing here is disapointing. Let me explain: all plants are wonderfull gifts of nature, so is phalaris, every one of the subsp. regardless of its natural or human made occurance. Also AQ1 must not necessarely have any properties to it that exceed any wild strain.
Your Phalaris is propably Phalaris Aq. , not AQ1, and still of use.

Cheers :) not trying to dissapoint you but trying to show you how your phalaris is as desirable as any other phalaris.
Praise is mandatory.

• ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »

You're right my friend but AQ1 is native to italy (Pisa) which is like 100km from where is sit.
And it is very important for me to find the exact strain 8) 8) 8)
BTW one of the four planted argyreia grew an enormous 2 inch root that blew my mind the third day!

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:13:19 PM »

I don't think AQ1 is anywhere to find in the wild, I read it was a single P. aquatica selected from a cultivar and cloned. AQ1 is not a subspecies, its just a clone of a special individual plant. That's why you won't find seeds of AQ1.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:15:47 PM by odara »

• ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »

I don't think AQ1 is anywhere to find in the wild, I read it was a single P. aquatica selected from a cultivar and cloned. AQ1 is not a subspecies, its just a clone of a special individual plant. That's why you won't find seeds of AQ1.
Yes but it hasn't been played with, it's just a variety that grows wild
EDIT sorry i misunderstood XD

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

It's not a variety, it's a clone. Meaning you can only start it by clones.  If you got seeds off an AQ1 plant, those seeds wouldn't be AQ1. It would be random genetics.   But aquatica grows everywhere.  It grows all over the place here.
Cactus = Life

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:18:36 AM »

Btw 23 (sry for OT) you announced a thread on Arg. N. , would you then include method for germination, soaking ? Soil ? Water ? Temp ? ... Im interested 3 says is faster than it did when I put out a few.
Praise is mandatory.

• ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 01:07:39 AM »

It's not a variety, it's a clone. Meaning you can only start it by clones.  If you got seeds off an AQ1 plant, those seeds wouldn't be AQ1. It would be random genetics.   But aquatica grows everywhere.  It grows all over the place here.
veeery explanatory thanks so i have to be miraculously lucky to ever come across something that has the "characteristics" lats say of AQ1. Sorry for the post sometimes i behave like a child ahah

Btw 23 (sry for OT) you announced a thread on Arg. N. , would you then include method for germination, soaking ? Soil ? Water ? Temp ? ... Im interested 3 says is faster than it did when I put out a few.
Yeah sure the fascinating fact is that yesterday a voice in my head said "look out for datura" so i went out in my woods(i own roughly 2 acres of woods) and nothing to be seen.
As i come back towards my house I check the post box and sure enough MadPlanter had sent me the datura seeds! :D
So I let them  germinate on a plate on my windowsill as I check out the argyreia and the same voice goes "this will blow your mind" so i pull out the first seed and this enormous root sticking out of it! Hah beautiful stuff (quick preview i used the most simple method possible)

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »

I had the same doubt some time ago and someone explained to me.
You just need to learn how to learn, it's ok to do wrong once and learn from that.
Intelligent systems have error tolerance at the beginning, it's not bad, that's how experimental data builds up to point the correct or truth.
My mother always said to look at the mirror and see we have 2 eyes and 2 ears, only one mouth, so we are supposed to observe and listen carefully before expressing.

• ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

thats  beautiful

h641

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 05:10:44 AM »

Hi 23,
I would like to grow Phalaris aquatica, do you have any resource (live plants/seeds?) XDDD
Do My Tasks! Need Phalaris Aquatica!