Gardening Area > Growing questions and answers

Mitragyna Speciosa Average Growth Rate

<< < (2/3) > >>

SummertimeLoving:
Thanks for the tips.

t_tristani2002:
Mandrake, do you have experience growing kratom yourself? I have about a 3' plant, with the leaves slightly yellowing. No nutrient deficiency, I.E. burned brown inverted leaves. They just don't seem to be nearly as dark colored as the original leaves are, and not nearly as hardy (thick). I bought some 4-4-4 mostly blood/bone meal fertilizer, as I don't want to burn it. Do you think that may help my growth as it seems to have slowed growth, only slightly I think due to a recent cold dip. Thanks

Frog Pajamas:
Hi t_tristani. I have a mitragyna speciosa about the same size as yours, and it does seem to like a periodic fertilizing with a good nitrogen-rich fertilizer. I haven't had any problems with burning it with ferts. You definitely want your plant where it is getting the most heat and sun you can get it. IME, the color of the leaves, veins, and stems is pretty directly tied to the level of sun they are getting.

How long has your plant been grown in the Appalachians? I just moved here from the Charlotte area, and my kratom is the one plant that does not like this new climate at all. I'd heard they start to have trouble under 60 degrees F, and that seems to be the case. Have you been successfully growing yours outdoors in the summer up here, and if so, do you have any tips?

t_tristani2002:
I travel pretty frequently from texas to here due to family, when I had taken it to east texas it got eaten by bugs, which stalled my growth for about a month, but now my nodes have doubled, obviously, so I'm not too disappointed. It seems to grow pretty well here, it gets a lot of morning sun, but is more shaded through the afternoon which helps I think. It seem in the northern part of the appalachians that there isn't enough humidity to protect the plant during times of extreme heat, where it was about 90-100 degrees a week or so ago. It was my one plant that thrived in the heat, so long as it was protected from getting burnt in the most intense part of the day. Perhaps a humidity tent would work wonders. I'll try moving it to more full sun and fertilizing it today and post back if I see any improvement within the next week. I can say however, the drop in temperature here at night, I'd say somewhere around 45-50 degrees in August! has definitely stalled out day time growth I think because it's recovering its energy from the prior night.

t_tristani2002:
Fertilizing turned my yellow leaves a darker green, however full sunlight wasn't any good. They started developing tiny dark red/brown spots on the leaves. I thought maybe it way fertilizer burn, but after a little testing it was definitely light. I wish I had another one so I could do some actual testing, but being familiar with plants I honestly think It is the lighting like others have mentioned...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version