Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: airlayering catha edulis  (Read 4106 times)

greengingers

• everything is a machine! throbbing with energy
airlayering catha edulis
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »

So, a friend of mine has a broad-leaf catha plant. He wants to keep it small and has offered to me a cut of it. And I am thinking air layer! So what I have in mind is this: I cut away a layer of flesh 360degrees (around the stem), just below a node. I am not a fan of root hormone powders, let alone know which to use on a catha. I do not have access to liqiud hormone, so I decided to go with no hormone. I then used a plastic packet which I poked several breather holes into. I then held it down just below the cut I made with, I like to use copper or alluminium wire as I am a bonsai grower I got that habbit frm that. I used peat to fill around the stem and cut. Iv been keeping the humidity quite high in the bag as the plant itself is placed in full sun in a pot.

Actually my questions is this: is catha a slow root grower? Does using plastic have a negative or positive effect? As iv heard of people using mesh kind of like fish net to airlayer, which has a lot more breathing to it but let's out humidity and moisture.

I'd also welcome any kind of sugestions or direction to take in any way as I am super keen to have my 1st catha.

Peace peeps
We are all just spinning

t_tristani2002

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • Sapere Aude
Re: airlayering catha edulis
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »

Well, in my limited experience of catha edulis (I'm starting new seeds now, as the old plant I had died a long time ago), I'm not sure of the root growth as I've never taken a cutting, but they seem to be very slow growing, at least in temperate climates.
~tristan

dragibus

• Trading Score: +41
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »

Catha is certainly a slow grower.  But luckily it grows new shoots abundantly, which you can just separate and have a new plant.  It also roots easily from cuts of new growth.  They root well in moist, well draining soil, although it is slow.  You can tell once theyve rooted by giving a tug and see if they move.

nick

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »

Catha is slow to grow new roots initially, but it airlayers well enough even without rooting hormone. I have had success with sterilized sphagnum peat moss held by parafilm tied with plant tie and shielded from the sun with aluminium foil. If I remember it was 2-3 months in the summer until there were enough roots to plant.