Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35

Author Topic: Plant Identification Thread  (Read 184707 times)

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Plant Identification Thread
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2016, 03:17:34 PM »

Any idea?

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »

Looks like it could be a young malaluca tree. If so kill that bitch now! Or it'll take the edges of that beautiful lake in no time.
Spreading love!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »

Spreading love!

Introductions

« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »

Hello!

I am happy and humble to make my first post here!

Wondering if anyone could ID these trees. I believe they are Albizia Julibrissin... Or are they a Mimosa of some sort?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts & hello!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:25:01 PM by Introductions »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »

Hey friend, this site is not used for consumption discussions other than mention of folk or ethnobotanical use, so let's drop that talk.  Good idea to read the rules: http://sharetheseeds.me/index.php/rules
The site is for sharing of plants and information about them so I'll keep the discussion along those lines. 8)

Looks like Alibizia julibrissin is among your pix, a common ornamental. Dr. Duke provides a list of phytochemicals.
https://phytochem.nal.usda.gov/phytochem/plants/show/77?et=
The given use for Arsenic in the bark is pesticide. 

Calliandra species may also be among you pix and some do have ethnobotanical use but a good ID is essential to better knowing your plants.

I encourage you to join the site in the traditional way by posting in the introduction area mentioned here: http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=16.0

Also, you might be interested in reading through some of the topics that have already been posted.  Happy gardening!  :)

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »

Dude.

We don't SWIM here.

Drinking tea made from a plant you haven't even ID'd is a pretty reckless and foolish thing to do. Good thing it's not poison sumac.

Or is it?

EDIT: Thanks plantlight for your more even handed and useful reply. I'll second the reminder about consumption talk.

Is there a mod around here with a ban hammer?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:51:32 PM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Introductions

« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

Hey friend, this site is not used for consumption discussions other than mention of folk or ethnobotanical use, so let's drop that talk.  Good idea to read the rules: http://sharetheseeds.me/index.php/rules
The site is for sharing of plants and information about them so I'll keep the discussion along those lines. 8)

I'm so very sorry :-[ Any and all talk of this will be dropped in any future posts here!

Looks like Alibizia julibrissin is among your pix, a common ornamental. Dr. Duke provides a list of phytochemicals.
https://phytochem.nal.usda.gov/phytochem/plants/show/77?et=
The given use for Arsenic in the bark is pesticide. 

Thank you! I believed it to be Alibizia.

Calliandra species may also be among you pix and some do have ethnobotanical use but a good ID is essential to better knowing your plants.

Thank you -- They all look rather similar to me though. Is there something in particular that differentiates a Calliandra from a Alibizia? How could one differentiate them?

I encourage you to join the site in the traditional way by posting in the introduction area mentioned here: http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=16.0

Also, you might be interested in reading through some of the topics that have already been posted.  Happy gardening!  :)

Thank you -- I will do so! Appreciate the good vibes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:26:19 PM by Introductions »

Introductions

« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »

Dude.

We don't SWIM here.

Drinking tea made from a plant you haven't even ID'd is a pretty reckless and foolish thing to do. Good thing it's not poison sumac.

Or is it?

I'm new here, but I'm pretty sure it isn't poison sumac man.  :( 

Would be cool to know if there is something in particular that differentiates a Calliandra from an Alibizia though.

Thanks again for your kindness and thoughts, plantlight.

Lots of love to you all.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:04:52 PM by Introductions »

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »

Thank you Bach and plantlight.

If you all run across posts with blatant rule violations, don't be afraid to hit the "Report to Moderator" button. It emails us mods, so I'll see it quickly normally. Thanks!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »

Would be cool to know if there is something in particular that differentiates a Calliandra from an Alibizia though
I agree and if you ever find out, let us know.  They are different Genera of the same family Fabaceae but were once considered the same Genus.  Adding to this, ahe Albiza genus contains 150 species and the Calliandra genus has 140.  So a lot of specialized knowledge there.  I usually stick to the species level.   My approach is to find something interesting in the literature and then look for it.

Interesting to note, as I was gathering info, I read that Alibizia julibrissin has been used in Chinese herbal medicine as an antidepressant.  This is in spite of it containing arsenic.   :P https://web.archive.org/web/20111211070314/http://www.planetherbs.com/specific-herbs/albizzia-the-tree-of-happiness.html

Also stumbled across this article in Journal of the National Cancer Institute discussing the successful treatment of some forms of lukemia with arsenic, citing the use of arsenic in traditional Chinese medicine.
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/99/9/667.long

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Introductions

« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2016, 01:29:37 PM »

Would be cool to know if there is something in particular that differentiates a Calliandra from an Alibizia though
I agree and if you ever find out, let us know.  They are different Genera of the same family Fabaceae but were once considered the same Genus.  Adding to this, ahe Albiza genus contains 150 species and the Calliandra genus has 140.  So a lot of specialized knowledge there.  I usually stick to the species level.   My approach is to find something interesting in the literature and then look for it.

Thank you again, plantlight! I will try to research Albiza and Calliandra more extensively. Thanks for the direction. I will let y'all know what I found out!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #416 on: December 09, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »

Suspected wild found phalaris species. It has a prominent ligule for sure and appears similar in growth to ones I've cultivated. What y'all think? I probably only have one chance to collect this guy as its on a job site of mine and I may only go back there one more time if at all. Didn't collect because the home owner was about watching us work most of the day...

Spreading love!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #417 on: December 09, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »

IMO Poaceae are hard to ID and tend to be described badly or wrongly in literature. If not flowering its even harder. I'd say you have a good chance here. Phalaris is abundant / ubiquitous too tho.

BTW, don't post your fingerprints guys, not wanting to spawn a tin hat discussion, but just dont.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:34:03 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »

Suspected wild found phalaris species. It has a prominent ligule for sure and appears similar in growth to ones I've cultivated. What y'all think? I probably only have one chance to collect this guy as its on a job site of mine and I may only go back there one more time if at all. Didn't collect because the home owner was about watching us work most of the day...

I'd send your photos to AcaciaAve for ID if he's still around.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »

Obviously a climber. I have several of theese potted, probably for a reason, but no ID.

Leaves do not grow in pairs but alternating. 'Alternate simple leaves'

Another detail are the small pairs of (useless ?) pointy growth at each node.

Every node has one leaf, two "tongue" like things and younger nodes have a climber / tendril.

I hope its bougainvillea - beautifull. Dont remember planting tho :D
Celastrus ? Solanum ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:52:16 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35