Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water harvesting techniques  (Read 13471 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Water harvesting techniques
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »

The rainy season is here so is time to save some water!

This is a nice video from Brad Lancaster that shares with us several water harvesting techniques he uses in his urban homestead. He is the author of the best selling water harvesting books on the market.

Have a look:

Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Water harvesting techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:03:59 AM »

Id be rather cautious especially with water from the streets (mainly brake dust) and from the roof when the roofing material or pipes or their soldering joints are of unsuitable material, just a little headsup ;)
Praise is mandatory.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »

This reminds me of something crazy, in several states rainwater collection is regulated; requiring a permit or tax or something.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/rainwater-harvesting.aspx

we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Jonnybegreen

• Jonny be green Jonny be wood
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:03:38 AM »

We have rain water regulation here in Florida but.... I just get  buckets and bins and collect all the rain I can any chance I get. I make sure to set my self up out in the open so that I only get rain.
Like vines we grow together

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »

We have rain water regulation here in Florida but.... I just get  buckets and bins and collect all the rain I can any chance I get. I make sure to set my self up out in the open so that I only get rain.

Are there regulations on rainwater?   I have a very simple method I posted yesterday:
http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=1437.msg23280#msg23280
What does your system look like?
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:54 AM »

This reminds me of something crazy, in several states rainwater collection is regulated; requiring a permit or tax or something.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/rainwater-harvesting.aspx

At least 1 person has be inprisioned for collecting rain water on his own property ! !

:'(
III%

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 02:03:23 AM »

A government permit is basically the government taking awqy something from you to sell it back to you.
Praise is mandatory.

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 02:59:56 AM »

I'll be the first to hop into anti government conversations.

However, the title and article are misleading.  NC (the only state I have practical and legal experience in) is a good example.  They are identified as 'having rainwater laws' but in essence it just means that a government agency was created with this power, in-fact they are specifically given the direction to encourage 'rainwater' collection by private individuals. 

My family has been collecting rainwater for years.  The best tip I can give is to throw a gold fish or two in the water.  The need no additional food and they keep the container from being a mosquito farm.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:03:11 AM »

Or just burry the cistern, IMO leat trouble.
Praise is mandatory.

Roze

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

Is this real? 

An Oregon landowner has been subjected to a 30-day prison sentence for what he says was a simple act of collecting rainwater on his own property.

State water managers have cited a 1925 law that provisions exclusive ownership of all "core sources of water" by the city of Medford, not private landowners. They say Harrington's three water reservoirs are included under this provision, and that water flowing through his property belongs to the state.

Known as the "Rain Main," Harrington reportedly built the reservoirs, which hold some 13 million gallons of water, for his own personal use. One of the reservoirs he stocked with largemouth bass for leisure purposes, and when wildfires emerge in the area, he says the water from this and the other two reservoirs can be used for mitigatory purposes. In Harrington's mind, the operation is perfectly legal and a legitimate use of his own property.

Because of this he was convicted of nine misdemeanors and sentenced to 30 days in prison, as well as slapped with a $1,500 fine, for diverting snow runoff and rainwater into three reservoirs on his property

Crazy world, this little blue rock..

Full report here

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »

You never buy land when it is government controlled. You pay for the right, the government once issued, to use it in certain ways. A right that also is subject to change.
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »

Insanity continues:

"Wood pile without building permit - 1250 € fine"

They concluded that a wood pile legally classifies as a building and thus a building permit must be acquired before piling up wood.

http://m.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/inselhotel-hermannswerder-in-potsdam-holzstapel-ohne-baugenehmigung-1250-euro-strafe/12907330.html?utm_referrer=
Praise is mandatory.

Roze

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

That wood pile dine is just ridiculous!  :o

Urban Elements

• αγρότης κάνναβης (50Tree)
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +21
  • Organized Confusion!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »

Is this real? 

An Oregon landowner has been subjected to a 30-day prison sentence for what he says was a simple act of collecting rainwater on his own property.

State water managers have cited a 1925 law that provisions exclusive ownership of all "core sources of water" by the city of Medford, not private landowners. They say Harrington's three water reservoirs are included under this provision, and that water flowing through his property belongs to the state.

Known as the "Rain Main," Harrington reportedly built the reservoirs, which hold some 13 million gallons of water, for his own personal use. One of the reservoirs he stocked with largemouth bass for leisure purposes, and when wildfires emerge in the area, he says the water from this and the other two reservoirs can be used for mitigatory purposes. In Harrington's mind, the operation is perfectly legal and a legitimate use of his own property.

Because of this he was convicted of nine misdemeanors and sentenced to 30 days in prison, as well as slapped with a $1,500 fine, for diverting snow runoff and rainwater into three reservoirs on his property

Crazy world, this little blue rock..

Full report here

Yes very real!  I am in Portland OR and it was headlines for weeks.
“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

Urban Elements

• αγρότης κάνναβης (50Tree)
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +21
  • Organized Confusion!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »

A government permit is basically the government taking awqy something from you to sell it back to you.

Might contact the Bundy family militia and offer up your assistance? Lol
“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna
Pages: [1] 2